• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Newbie suppressor questions

jba6511

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
53   0
Reaction score
Looking to get my first can but overwhelmed by the amount of info out there. I have not decided on which caliber yet, but looking at either 9mm, 22 or 223. Is there a suppressor that would accommodate all three or 2 out of the three? Besides for the ability to clean at home what else should I be looking out for? I would like to do this for under 500, if possible, plus the cost of the stamp. It would be mainly used for plinking outdoors.

Liberty Mystic is user serviceable and will work on all three. Caw308, a member here is currently running a group buy on them.

Or you could just get a good 22 suppresor since your budget is limited. I recommend dawsonville gun and pawn or quiet riot firearms(a member here with great prices). The octane 9 is in the 500's on silencershop.com and is user serviceable, good for 22 and 9mm.

Last edited:
realistically if its user serviceable, then rimfire is fine. most .223 and .308 cans are sealed so cleaning is a bit tough. just make sure you avoid aluminum. a 24hr vinegar soak will loosen even tough carbon BUT if you shoot lead it will release lead acetate into the vinegar which is bad juju. wear gloves.

Thanks for the responses. I like how the octane 9 breaks down but how exactly would you clean a suppressor or does it vary by make/model for user serviceable cans?

Thanks for the responses. I like how the octane 9 breaks down but how exactly would you clean a suppressor or does it vary by make/model for user serviceable cans?

Bead blast / ultrasonic / scrape. Usually a combo of all 3. People "over-service" their cans IMO. A little buildup doesn't hurt.

I'm waiting on my first can, I've got one .22 can in the family already.

If you want really quiet, you want to be shooting subsonic. If you're shooting supersonic it will still have a loud crack.

I went with a Mystic for the following reasons

1. User serviceable
2. No threads on the tube to strip out.
3. SS monocore design (tough as ****)
4. Rated for several calibers. I've got a few 9mm and .22 hosts. I'll eventually pick up a .22 can, but till then, I'm covered.

Back
Top Bottom