• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New to reloading

chopper duke

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
205   0
Reaction score
I'm looking to get an inexpensive setup to reload basically one, maybe two calibers. Primarily looking to reload for a rifle (300wsm) and possibly for .300blkout and .40S&W as well but currently want to focus on the .300wsm.

Other than the expendables (powder, primer, bullet and brass) what else do I HAVE to have. I don't mind hand pressing either since space is EXTREMELY limited.

If there's anyone in the Loganville/ Monroe/ South Gwinnett area that want's to give me a run through in person, I would extremely grateful and will bring you a six pack of your choice of brew.

Be gentle, I'm a reloading virgin.

You'll need a scale, a decent set of calipers, and a powder dispenser. Your going to need a priming tool, if your press doesn't have one. Watch a couple of YouTube videos and you'll get the hang of it real quick.

sounds like one of the single station "O" type press kits may be the way to go!
several manufactures of them.
the O type press is generally a larger opening, is stronger so may work with rifle calibers better than a standard turret press?
just see what is included in a press kit, usually something like press, manual, powder measure, powder scale, maybe a few misc items like a pocket cleaner, or champering tool.
you will need likely a caliper,a lube pad/lube, set of dies in the caliber, if you want to clean the brass then some type of tumbler, a bullet puller.
actually if you will buy a reloading manual and read through it several times before buying anything else it can answer all your questions.

I have a nice set of Browne and Sharp Calipers so I'm good there. As I mentioned before, space is at a premium and I don't really have anywhere to setup a bench or bolt something down. I'm thinking of getting a kit like this one on Cabela's.

I'm trading into a rifle in .300wsm which is why I'm now looking to reload for it. The trade will include some brass and a set of dies as well.

I appreciate all of the insight so far!

Here are pics of the portable bench or box I was talking about. Can easily be modified for a small press.

And I have no Fnnn idea why they loaded sideways.

I would defintly stay away from the press you posted from cabelas. No matter how tight space was.

I would defintly stay away from the press you posted from cabelas. No matter how tight space was.

Yeah, I talked with Loadnplenty and I'm going to go with an actual press. I think I've come up with a way (with loadnplenty's help) to have a portable/ stowable kit.

Back
Top Bottom