New to reloading

I think you'll like the TMag II, I like mine. My priming arm broke within a week of use (the steel "spring" snapped). Customer service from Lyman was excellent. Get as many loading manuals as you can afford and study them well. Enjoy!

do you use the primer feed tube? I heard they're garbage and most people use a hand held priming tool.

9mm, 45 ACP and .223. So far Ive only got a 3 die set for .45, as that was all that was available. Its made by Lyman as well. The seating die in that set apparently is also a roll crimping die, and is a no-go from what I've read for 45. Should I buy a separate seating and taper crimp die or can I use the Lyman die I have and just set it up in a way that it doesnt crimp much?

What chuckdog said.

.45 ACP will be the easiest to reload, then 9mm and finally .223.

There are nuances to loading 9mm that you should familiarize yourself with. The .223 is a high pressure round and greater risk is incurred. The .223 will involve extra steps that you will need to consider.

For loading 9mm this is a good thread. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/315678-Reloading-9mm-Pearls?highlight=reloading+9mm+pearls

Loading necked rifle cartridges is more involved and you will have to (at some point) trim and debur cases. Also you are likely to cross paths with primer crimped military brass. For a few I just use a hand reamer while sitting on the couch hand priming brass. For a bunch of brass I use a primer pocket swager.

A basic skim of the surface of both hand gun and rifle reloading is at the top of this section:

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/116921-Metallic-Cartridge-Reloading-for-the-New-Guy

Last edited:
For me, on press priming just doesn't do it?

I've been using the original Lee hand tools forever. I have several of them that I hope to never have to replace, but I'm always open to something better. The new and improved Lee one I have is a disappointment for me. I've tried to like it, but just can't.

I see Lyman has recently introduced a new model. I'd be curious to hear some first hand feedback on them.

9mm, 45 ACP and .223. So far Ive only got a 3 die set for .45, as that was all that was available. Its made by Lyman as well. The seating die in that set apparently is also a roll crimping die, and is a no-go from what I've read for 45. Should I buy a separate seating and taper crimp die or can I use the Lyman die I have and just set it up in a way that it doesnt crimp much?

Seat the bullet first and in the next station use a taper crimp die. Doing these operations seperately will give better results

For me, on press priming just doesn't do it?

I've been using the original Lee hand tools forever. I have several of them that I hope to never have to replace, but I'm always open to something better. The new and improved Lee one I have is a disappointment for me. I've tried to like it, but just can't.

I see Lyman has recently introduced a new model. I'd be curious to hear some first hand feedback on them.

I tried press priming once and was very dissatisfied with the results (no feel for the primer). I too use the older Lee hand primer tool (you have a great fell for how the primer is seating). Never had a flatted primer with the Lee.

I found out my seating die has the capability to roll crimp, but doesn't do it unless you set the die up to do so. I i made some dummy rounds and they cycle fine.

Back
Top Bottom