New to Reloading....Soon.. Help..

Beerman

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
I need some advice, tips, pointers on what I need to complete this funtion.. Besides the obvious.. Also if you have any old reloading manuals I would like to have them if you want to part with them.. Thanks in advance.. Beerman.

Last edited:
First I would start with a few manuals. ABC's of reloading, and the Lyman 49th Ed are both great manuals to read. Read them, then read them again. Look on multiple fourms on the net. Check out the stickies on the fourms for some good info. If you know someone that can help you get started, ask them for help. Reloading is not hard at all, but you need to pay close attention so you keep all of your fingers. Once you get all your equipment setup, figure out a load that you would like to try in you caliber and buy components for that load. I see so many people buy bullets or powder because so and so told them it works great just to find out there's no data for the bullet/powder comb. Be safe and have fun

I only plan on reloading about 4 different calibers. I have a buddy that is shipping me his old press and some trinkets that come with it, because he got a new one.. So press for free and have to buy a few things will help out. Any certain manuals I should look for?

Where in west ga? Lee has a lot of good manuals. Im only reloading 4 calibers currently and the Lee classic turret press is working amazing for me so far. Very easy setup and very easy to operate.

First I would start with a few manuals. ABC's of reloading, and the Lyman 49th Ed are both great manuals to read. Read them, then read them again. Look on multiple fourms on the net. Check out the stickies on the fourms for some good info. If you know someone that can help you get started, ask them for help. Reloading is not hard at all, but you need to pay close attention so you keep all of your fingers. Once you get all your equipment setup, figure out a load that you would like to try in you caliber and buy components for that load. I see so many people buy bullets or powder because so and so told them it works great just to find out there's no data for the bullet/powder comb. Be safe and have fun

Good advice. Start with "plinking" loads for the range-reduced wear on your guns and less fatigue for the shooter.

I only plan on reloading about 4 different calibers. I have a buddy that is shipping me his old press and some trinkets that come with it, because he got a new one.. So press for free and have to buy a few things will help out. Any certain manuals I should look for?
Lyman 49th Ed, Hornady, Speer all make good loading manuals. ABC's of reloading is a great manual for learning and tips, but not so good for load data. I like to have as many sources as possible for load data to cross reference. Hodgdon's has a great load data website. Always start with the starting charge and work up. Never use loads that others tell you to try without verifying the data, and working your way up. Stay below the max charge and watch for pressure signs when approaching max charges.

I would start by reading a few reloading manuals. I also watched many reloading videos on youtube and read some threads on reloading forums before I started. Check and see if there are any reloading classes in your area coming up. Before I started I went to a reloading class with Pete at Wild West Traders in Marietta, I know TruPrep has also offered this class in the past. Mine was FREE, I have seen other classes cost about $20. I also had a friend that was interested and we did the research and started loading at the same time.

Even though I shot many calibers, I started loading .45 ACP and focused on that for a while and learned a lot. After I was comfortable with the process, I added more calibers.

You've been given the best advice available ... beginning with READ, READ, and READ some more!
That said, there is simply no substitue for experiience ,,, You have to do it!

And remember the definition of experience ... the actual act of doing, making mistakes and learning from them.

Reloading is like SCUBA Diving: the most dangerous and at the same time safest sport .... if you follow the rules; otherwise you can get seriously injured or KILLED!

Consider this carefully as you READ!

If you need help getting it set up...PM me and I'll show you how. It's pretty simple stuff...just pay attention to what you are doing. That's the main rule to reloading...pay attention, and check to make sure you are paying attention.

I only load one caliber...but I reload that caliber better than the stuff I can buy off the shelf. And my pet load is straight from my Lee manual!

Back
Top Bottom