• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to climbing

I have a Summit Viper and I have been fairly pleased with it overall. My only complaint is I'm not really a fan of the stirrups and I dislike climbers in general now due to the time, effort, and noise to get up and down a tree. If I have a choice, I'd rather hunt a ground setup, a ladder, or a lock on before a climber, but there are some situations where a climber is the only option or is way more convenient. I don't think you can go wrong with buying a Summit though.

I have hunted with a Viper for quite a few years now. It is light, quiet, and quick to attach to the tree. It bites the tree really well and is comfortable. For $130 I say get it. I like being able to climb a ladder but the mobility a climber gives you can put you in on a deer you would otherwise be unable to hunt.

I have a Summit Goliath but to be honest with you I hate climbing. I can sit all day in comfort and to me the worst part is standing up to take a piss. My balance sucks. Just remember to tie the bottom to the top before you leave the ground and keep you harness on from the time you get in the stand till the time you climb out. Spend the extra money and get you a good harness and you will be glad you did.

Do get a harness and wear it as you climb up and down. Hunter Safety System makes one of the best harnesses out there.

I have a HSS harness already. so, just use the HSS rope strap that goes around the tree and move it up as I go?

Yes. It is a bit aggravating having to do that and makes some noise but its worth it to make it home after your hunt.
Tying the top and bottom section together is also good advise. If the bottom section ever works loose it can slide down the tree all the way to the bottom leaving you up a tree with half of a stand.

Yes. It is a bit aggravating having to do that and makes some noise but its worth it to make it home after your hunt.
Tying the top and bottom section together is also good advise. If the bottom section ever works loose it can slide down the tree all the way to the bottom leaving you up a tree with half of a stand.

Good advice....tying the two sections together saved my rear on many occasions.
Make sure the rope is long enough to get a good, complete extension of your body...just long enough to recover with your feet if it falls.
If the rope is too short you may not get much travel up the tree and will have to make many more movements and noise to get up.

I've also been looking at the x-stand sit n climb for lightweight carry but pretty expensive.

Last edited:
Another good thing to have is a treble hook with a split shot weight clamped onto it tied to about 25 feet of fishing line. The weight helps you get the hook where it is supposed to be going on a windy day. Anything you drop out of the stand can be pulled back up with out having to climb back down. I also have a rare earth magnet that stay's stuck to the hook. I dropped a can of dip once and it gave me the idea. Oh yea and SS harness, those are awesome! And these are worth their weight in gold. You can fit a drink gruntcalls and whatever else in there with out haveing to carry an extra backpack.

Back
Top Bottom