• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to climbing

Laces_Out_Marino

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
29   0
Reaction score
I am looking a getting a climbing tree stand for the first time and saw bass pro had this one on sale (Summit® The Crush™ Series Viper® SD Ultra Climbing Treestand) and wanted to know if it was a good climber to start out with.

Summit Vipers are very popular (presumably for a reason). I have one (older model) and it's very comfortable but I personally hate climbers.

I am looking at getting one because I dont have a club to join this year so I will be hunting an archery only WMA and cant put a permanent stand up, I want another option besides a ground blind. reviews seem good for the stand and after discounts, rewards points, gift cards.... I can get it for about $130.

I am looking at getting one because I dont have a club to join this year so I will be hunting an archery only WMA and cant put a permanent stand up, I want another option besides a ground blind. reviews seem good for the stand and after discounts, rewards points, gift cards.... I can get it for about $130.
I understand and they certainly serve that purpose well. That stand is a Bass Pro Shops 'exclusive' so you can't really compare price but it's hard to imagine any new Viper for less than $200 not being a good deal. For $130, I wouldn't hesitate. It includes the stirrups and even a free grunt. How can you go wrong? :)

I've used a variety of climbers over the years, the new Summits cannot be beat. However, the vast majority of Vipers that come up for sale for $100 are steel instead of aluminum. They are heavier and louder than the aluminum models with sound deadening (SD) technology. You didn't say how long you intend to stay in it on a hunt, size does matter here. I have a steel Viper that is comparable in size to what you're looking at, and while it is serviceable it feels confined. I use a 180 Max by Summit, and will hunt from nothing else if I have a choice. It has more room in the top section, with a wrap around seat that blocks wind from blowing up your jacket. The bottom is also a bit longer making it easier to stretch out and get comfy, I love it. They are quiet, light, easy to set up and climb and they lock on the tree solid, much better than 20 years ago. It is the most comfortable stand, of any kind, I've ever used. I regularly sit 6-7 hours in it with no problem. They cost more, but you get more.

http://www.amazon.com/Summit-180-MAX-SD-Treestand/dp/B004V9GUPU

I have a Summit Goliath but to be honest with you I hate climbing. I can sit all day in comfort and to me the worst part is standing up to take a piss. My balance sucks. Just remember to tie the bottom to the top before you leave the ground and keep you harness on from the time you get in the stand till the time you climb out. Spend the extra money and get you a good harness and you will be glad you did.

Back
Top Bottom