• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New study on deer vision...Do you stick out like a sore thumb???

Cat Herder

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
It’s important to know when to throw out the plan
217   0
Reaction score
Good link but I don't understand what is 'new' in that study? :confused:
It has long been known that blue is the primary color that 'stands out' in the wild for them (furthering that an entire industry sprung up with UV inhibitors) and that movement is the absolute hightest acuity they have regardless of color. So what is 'new'?
A test using colored LIGHT seems odd to me. Using non luminated color panels would seem to have proven far more practical (IF the goal was to detect visual ability in the wild).

Way back, right as the 500 square inches of orange became law, I used to spend every spare minute deer hunting, I could muster. Having NOT been schooled on various color spectrums & visual wavelengths at that time, I took it upon myself to experiment. Had a stand, high up in a leaning tree where all sorts of deer came through all the time. I would wear different colors , as I sat very still , for many days, kept a notebook. Most of the time deer would just wander by, like always sniffing, listening , looking up, down, all around. BUT every time I wore a solid blue outer garment, rain, shine, sun or cloudy those critters would spot me from way out, tense up & sometimes turn & go the other way. The solid bright orange would occasionally catch their attention, but not like the blue!

Back
Top Bottom