• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New Hope, GA and Flight 242 Tragedy

I was in High School when this happened we lived just off of 41 HWY in Acworth,, I remember ambulances, fire and police from down town Atlanta, Marietta, almost every town within 70 miles or so responding,, one of the worst storms we had in a long time,, if I remember right one of the planes wings flattened a car with people inside and leveled the local gas station,, It was a very sad day for the area,

Great memory man! I remember reading about the sequence of events several years ago about the tragedy, and they did mention the gas station and a few cars full of people we're taken out.

Every time I sit at the traffic light at Bobo and 381 I think about what it must have been like to have that DC9 come down for an emergency landing. We take so much for granted.

IM thinking a flight attendant lived was the only survivor

Both the attendants survived. After reading more articles about this tragedy, the plane didn't just spin (which I originally thought) after hitting trees and embankments, it actually somersaulted several times. It's a wonder anyone made it out of that plane alive.

I remember this very well. I was stationed at NAS Atlanta in Marietta,Ga in Attack Squadron VA205 when this crash happened. In fact the co-pilot who as I recall landed the plane was a reserve pilot in my squadron named Lt. Lyman keele. Lt. Keele was experienced in landing planes on carriers. In fact I worked the flight deck on the USS Lexington when he was qualifying his landing skills. He died in this crash. He was a great person and a pleasure to work with. This was indeed a real tragedy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom