• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New GP100 Revolver Trigger Job Gunsmith in Gwinnett area & advise needed

Vinny2Gun

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
6   0
Reaction score
Angled Right Up 4.jpg
Anyone know who is the go to guy for some trigger polishing up, cleaning out internals of a new Talo exclusive GP100 3" 7 shot .357 I just got (and will be doing videos on my 16k youtube channel...perhaps gunsmith would take me plugging them into consideration)?

Trigger is already good, tried to disassemble w friend that works at FFL, but with him holding it and pressing in the detent in the handle to release the trigger group...and me a very strong guy yanking could not get the trigger group out. I don't know if this was because he wasn't putting revolver upside on table to depress that detente maybe that would help? I do think it is unusually stiff...we could depress it IN, but maybe not down at the end to clear is that needed? Best way to do this? Wondering if tried upside down on table and yanked trigger group up instead if it would have worked. Also wondering if after firing 150-200 rds through it and trying again do you think may have better luck (would the recoil vibrations help this to loosen up?)?

He did take out trigger and remove a bit of gunk, sprayed with oil and deburred just a couple of things. He said you need to make sure no metal flakes that could break off and jam it up....something I will be carrying.

I would like this thing to be as good yet reliable as can be. I don't really see need for a lighter SA pull (don't have a Gage but after more dry firing would assume it gets down to like a 3.2 # pull on it's own) and DA is already decent figuring it would drop to about 10.2# does that sound right? Guessing I would like DA more like 7-8 lb range which I think is possible just with a 10# trigger spring and just a bit of polishing? New to revolvers after all these years of shooting pistols and found a model that had the 3" 7 shot capacity yet light enough to actually carry sometimes that I think I can be proud of.

Trigger Spring overall advise for lighter but 100% reliable? Wolf Spring 10# seems recommended, and maybe down to the 10# return spring (though I don't really understand why a less strong return would be wanted?)? Do shims really help? MCarbo kit instead of Wolf...is it bit too light for 100% carry reliability?

Also, if I decide I want my occasional revolver carry to have a revolver Backup small enough to fit in my offside front pocket in jeans and draw decent.....would you recommend a Taurus 605 or 905 (maybe 856 UL but really don't like .38), saving for a 3" K6S (anyone want to trade one for a one owner 9mm w night sights? I have 3 I could part with), or possibly a SP101 (either in .357 or perhaps 9mm just so I can practice DA revolver trigger a lot more cheaper) and getting a job done on it or at least just changing springs myself since I DO not like sp101 trigger pulls (nor sights). I am a big guy, and in shorts pocket carry ppq sc or CW45 etc no problem. Jeans backup has always been LCP...but just thinking out loud might like Revolver brothers as one of my carry options.

Anyways, new on this side of forum usually just on pistol trading side so hope this was an alright post..... who are the Ruger Revolver gunsmiths around Gwinnett area or any experts here that would do the job? Any in particular that might like me advertising them on my youtube channel in my vids planned on revolver, comparing a bunch of holsters etc.? What would something like this cost? I am not a man with tools or fine finger dexterity (though could do small sandpaper or whatever recommended type deburring maybe but don't want to f up anything and could change the trigger spring w help at the range...changing out return spring by myself though maybe not). Thank you so much, advise and referrals appreciated.

I bet if you simply replace the hammer spring with one from gunsprings.com,you will be happy, but with a little more effort, you can change the trigger return spring for more satisfaction.

Back
Top Bottom