• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New England Westinghouse M91

cr107

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
167   0
Reaction score
I was visiting my Fiances family in NY and happened to notice a old barreled action laying in a corner of her grandfathers house. Noticed the rear sight was to a M91 and asked if it was OK for me to look at it. Picked it up and It was a New England Westinghouse Nagant rifle. Made in the US during WW1 for the Russians. He didn't know anything about it so he told meI could keep it if I wanted it. So I'm looking for parts to restore it now. Ill get pics up when I get back home Tuesday. Its in rough shape but It should be workable. Just some light list, but I don't see any major pitting.

Sadly I don't have a bolt or mag assembly. I have half of the Walnut stock, but it was sporterized and is falling apart and bone dry. Not sure what to do with it. I don't want to trash it. Thoughts?

I'll get pics up ASAP. I already found the parts I need. Just want to clean it up first before I order anything.

I'll get pics up ASAP. I already found the parts I need. Just want to clean it up first before I order anything.

awesome! let me know if you need any help. It's always fun to interpret the markings on the US made mosins to see how they were issued and if they went overseas or if they stayed in the US.

I can tell you more with pics. On the top of the receiver tang near the rear action screw is the spot where the factory mark was placed. There were three different plants assembling rifles, Meriden, Chicopee Falls Hill Plant, and East Springfield. The stamps will be a M, H, or an E with an arrow attached to the left side.

Working on getting pics up, promise! Trying to clean it up some now to see the markings better. I do know that its a 1915 date rifle. Its in worse shape than I realized originally, once the "excitement" from getting it wore off. Im pretty sure the bore is trash, but it has cleaned up some. I have it soaking in CLP now until I can get something stronger and some new brushes. The metal is decent with a fair amount of rust. Trying to clean it without removing whats left of the finish.

Back
Top Bottom