• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New 9mm 1911 build.

markj

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
95   0
Reaction score
I hope all the ODT had a great Christmas. Since the Wife was on a trip, I Had lunch with the parents, then spent Christmas afternoon (and late into the evening) finishing up this new build for IDPA ESP division shooting. Caspian frame and slide, Kart NM barrel, and a pile of little bits and pieces. Test fired it last week before bluing the slide, shoots very soft with a flat recoil impulse. Hope to put a few hundred rounds through it in the next couple of days.

Was hoping to get some input from the 1911 guys on which grips you like better, the modern VZs or the old school Checkered Walnut. I like them both, so I figured Id see if there was a general consensus on what looks best.

I didn't stop to take pictures of every step, so no build thread in the gun smithing forum on this one, but if anyone has any questions, just let me know.

9-1.jpg
9-7.jpg
9-8.jpg
9-4.jpg
9-5.jpg

Gratuitous self portrait pic....:p

9-9.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
The VZs are growing on me. looks they are going to stay. Its .2oz over weight for IDPA, so Its going to have to go on a diet. If I have to, I can Mill off the extra metal Caspian leaves on the frame (under the grips). That should get me there.

Thanks guys.
The VZs are growing on me. looks they are going to stay. Its .2oz over weight for IDPA, so Its going to have to go on a diet. If I have to, I can Mill off the extra metal Caspian leaves on the frame (under the grips). That should get me there.

Nice-lookin' Blaster, Mark! You could probably lose most of the weight by narrowing the outside of the Magwell--On both sides--That way, you would not potentially weaken the Frame--Just an idea... :) ....mikey357

Back
Top Bottom