Neighbor Dog Aggressive On My Property

Owner would have got a harsh warning and next time I would shoot it
But of course if it comes to a persons health or a dogs life then the dog dies , remember it's just a ****ing dog

Last edited:
Use this while you're at it
FB_IMG_1444615143860.jpg

PITA = Pain In The A**
PETA are the ethical treatment of animals folks.

Mostly good advice on here. Send registered letters to your HOA since they haven't taken action. Call animal control, file multiple reports.

And/or you can dog sit my German Shepherd for a day. He's great with kids and would prob love to "play" with your neighbors' dog.

Hey folks. Need your advice on a legal matter. So the up front details. I live in a townhouse community. There are HOA posted leash laws for dogs and pets. When on common grounds you MUST have your dog leashed. I myself abide by them with my Boxer boy as he can be very hyper. This dog is a constant nuisance to other animals and people.

So I have a neighbor who routinely NEVER has her dog (pit/terrier mix) on a leash in a common ground open area behind our house. On the main level to this area it is open to our back doors. Last night before dinner my 2 year old son was standing inside at our back patio doors when out of nowhere this unleashed dog comes flying up to our backdoor snarling and barking at my son. I'm confident if the door wasn't closed this dog would have got my son. The owner was nowhere to be seen as she was on her porch. I of course EDC in my house regularly. My original response was "this dog is on my property at my backdoor aggressively trying to go after my son". My right should be to protect my family in any way necessary.

Question-do I have legal right to use lethal force on this animal if I feel my family or my life is in danger? Thanks in advance folks!

I have a dog that may as well be my third child, we had our last two dogs 14 years...I undoubtedly love dogs, that being said we are responsible dog owners and we take precautions with our animal to avoid things like this from happening - she is very territorial so she doesn't go outside without a leash or harness. I would not tolerate an aggressive animal on my property or in close vicinity to my family for one single minute. You are absolutely correct about an HOA being unresponsive - as long as your house is painted the correct color and your yard is mowed they have fulfilled their obligations. If I were in your position, I would have to feel threatened for my families immediate safety before discharging my weapon (especially depending on where you live)...you could end up in a lawsuit or worse. I would give the local LEOs an opportunity to respond and explain the situation to them so that the whole issue is documented. The next time it happened, I would take the animals life and contact the police before I ever let the dogs owner know - let them sort it out! Good luck with the issue, hope it works out without escalation.

If you don't want your dog killed, either (a) keep it off the public streets and other people's property, OR..
... Or
(b) make sure that if and when your dog escapes, it behaves like a friendly dog to everybody and every other pet it meets.

If your dog comes onto my property looking like its a threat to me or my animals, I'll probably shoot it within 10 seconds (after yelling at it and stomping my feet or something).
If it doesn't go, it starts taking lead.

Last edited:
I had a beagle when I was a kid and he was always getting out. The house, the yard, over and under the fence, whatever, he'd find a way. But he was such as happy, friendly dog to every person, kid, or other dog he came across. Hated that he got out so much, but that was our mistake for having a beagle in the suburbs.

My German Shepherd will absolutely not run off. I guess he does look somewhat menacing, but I let the kids in the neighborhood walk him regularly. He'll stay in the yard or by my side off the leash or wherever. He only rises up when someone approaches our property, letting them know to tread carefully, but always under control.

Guess my point is, you know what kind of dog you have, and if you have a dog that frequently escapes and threatens other people and animals, it says a lot about you as a person.

Back
Top Bottom