• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Negative gunsmith experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Bil,
Since one of your friends here has already sent me a filthy text message this morning I thought I might take a moment to respond to your complaint. My name is Randy and I own Bullet Proof Gunsmithing, LLC.

I did work on Bill's 11-48, Twice. Sorry for the length of time on the second repair. That was due to some investigative work on my end and waiting for contacts to respond to request for information.

By the way, you forgot to mention that on the second repair I came to within miles of your house to pick the gun up and return it to save you the drive to Conyers.

If you are not familiar with the 11-48 it is has what Remington calls a Self Compensating Recoil System. It is recoil driven and through a series of rings and a spring it helps absorb the recoil but uses no gas per se to operate the system. These are the problems that I found or other work I completed.

1) The barrel with the adjustable choke will not operate with the friction piece in place. The standard barrel without the choke will operate fine with the friction piece.

2) The steel collar that is part of the barrel mounting system is welded on in separate places on each barrel. I can not confirm through my sources if this is due to barrel length or for other reasons.

The last time I drove down to Social Circle to drop Bill's shotgun off I tried to explain all of this to him. I even explained that if a New or Used friction piece could be found I would buy it and install it to try to resolve the problem. He did not want to hear this from me all he wanted to do was get his money back.

1st Repair - Bill also did not mention that I had repaired the ejector he installed on the barrel extension of the choke barrel as he had damaged the little tip at the end of the ejector when he installed it so that it would not eject. This is the reason the gun was brought in for in the first place.

2nd Item - Bill's 11-48 was stripped completely down and cleaned. All pieces were removed and cleaned and checked for wear or breakage.

3rd Item - Repaired lug on barrel extension of choke barrel to fit into receiver correctly. It was hitting the shell stop.

The choke barrel will not cycle with the current friction piece in it. It will run perfectly without the friction piece. However the gun does eject all live shot ammunition without failure. I shot 12 to 15 shells in this gun through both barrels and all of them ejected. I am not sure why this shotgun will not eject dummy rounds but it would eject loaded live rounds as Bill stated when he came by to pick the gun up. I asked several times at this visit if he would come fire the shotgun in a small testing area out behind my house and he refused this offer.

I am sorry my house smelled like cigarettes but me and the wife are trying to quit. Also, to the friend who sent the nasty message to my phone. You can keep that junk to yourself. It is wrong and may be Illegal.

This above information is what I did to this shotgun. It does do what it is supposed to do. I can not find a friction piece but I am still looking. If I find one as I have stated before, if Bill will bring me the shotgun I will see if this will resolve the problem.

I carried my Remington 11-48 to Bulletproof Gunsmithing for failure to eject. I showed Randy exactly what issue I was having with spent shells. I knew issue was barrel related as I explained to him that my other barrel worked fine. A week or so later, he says gun is fixed. He demonstrated ejection with live shells and I paid him $90 and left. When I got home. I tested with spent shells.....same issue, no ejection. Back to Randy with gun and working spare barrel which he keeps for 3 weeks. I call and he says he can't fix it. I go to pick up gun and request refund because I'm back to square one. Randy refuses refund and we part ways.........forever. Stay away from Randy Haught at Bulletproof Gunsmithing. :(

I carried my Remington 11-48 to Bulletproof Gunsmithing for failure to eject. I showed Randy exactly what issue I was having with spent shells. I knew issue was barrel related as I explained to him that my other barrel worked fine. A week or so later, he says gun is fixed. He demonstrated ejection with live shells and I paid him $90 and left. When I got home. I tested with spent shells.....same issue, no ejection. Back to Randy with gun and working spare barrel which he keeps for 3 weeks. I call and he says he can't fix it. I go to pick up gun and request refund because I'm back to square one. Randy refuses refund and we part ways.........forever. Stay away from Randy Haught at Bulletproof Gunsmithing. :(

Thanks for the heads-up, When, I first go into guns my older brother a Marine told me you need to find a good gunsmith, with a good reputation and let him do all your work, I have and will continue to use Myron from Aces n Eights, some of you guys may know him as the Georgia Gun Club Gunsmith!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom