• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need repair advice/ideas

philwil68

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Guitar and Gun Slinger
114   0
Reaction score
So, I figured that there are atleast a couple car nuts on here, and I need your thoughts. The ol' lady's car has started chugging when you accelarate, but only after about 50 mins. of driving in traffic. I thought maybe the air filter, but I just had it replaced recently, and it still looks new. I have no clue, maybe the fuel filter?? Here's my question, does this sound like a common/easy/cheap thing to fix.... or are we talking big money. The car is a 2001 Hyundai (I know, that's the problem right there lol) Tiburon has newer tranny with only 25,000 miles on the tranny. I think the car has about 160,000 miles on it. It's a 4cyl DOHC 16v engine, and the car is front wheel drive.... Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Fuel filter would be a good place to start. Can't hurt to replace it- (But don't forget to disconnect your battery first.)

I also understand that a sticky thermostat can cause the car to run too hot or cold-and when the fuel mixture gets adjusted wrong as a result it will run rough. (If it only does this sort of thing after warming up-might be another good idea to replace that thermo.)

*Also, might go by autozone or advance and get them to check for codes. Sure seems like it would throw up some sort of code if it is running noticeably rough.

If the fuel pump is going out, the fuel pump will get hot and stop working properly and get overheated.

I have seen many cars that start getting sluggish at a certain time limit or a certain miles driven.

Once the fuel pump gets too hot, it wont work properly. You can throw $$$$$ at it all day long chasing symptoms only to end up spending more than the cars worth lol.

CHange the fuel filter, do a good tune up, clean the throttle body and MAF sensor, and see if that helps.

If not, not really much you can do without a code. And the fuel pump issue won throw a code.

Sounds like it could be the catalytic converter . If it's stopped up it can restrict airflow when it gets hot & put it back on the engine .

Happened to me on the way back from Panama city Fla . Took a hack saw , cut it off & drove home loud & proud . LOL .

saw this happen two times this year. more than likely at least these two cases a plug wire was broken on the inside and when it gets hot it wiggles as you are driveing after you stop while it is hot it seems to weld itself back together until you drive any distance. its worth a shot. like i said it has happened two times recently with different cars. let us know what you find out

Back
Top Bottom