• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need recommendation on trail cams.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
I've seen some good reviews about moultrie trail cams but I was just looking for some good recommendations from guys who have actually used them a couple seasons to see which ones they like/dislike.

I've seen some infrared four pack cameras available on amazon for $200.00 roughly and some even have a portable viewer you can take around to your cams for $45.00 to view your pics.

$200 ain't bad for four cameras but sounds too good to be true for $50.00 a piece.

I use primos, they are little more than the tasco, but they are much better quality and take way better pics than the $50 tasco I have. If you are not gonna use it year round and just want one to tinker around with then the Tasco will work, but there is way better technology available.

Setup and aiming can make a big difference. These pics are from a $50 Tasco......... I've run this camera for two years now......full time. Pics are as clear as the ones I get on my Moultrie.

Attachments

• HUNT6804.jpg
    HUNT6804.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 12
  • HUNT6732.jpg
    HUNT6732.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 10
  • HUNT6899.jpg
    HUNT6899.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 10
I have a primos truth cam with 46 LEDs . For a year or two it was awesome. Even took great video at night and rarely spooked the critters. Then the color started to go. then it wouldn't turn off ( so I pull out the batteries). The. The color is completely gone and the day pict look like red-sepia. Then it went beserk and would take still Picts non stop. Then it would just cut off in the rain or cold. My experience with their customer Svc reminded me of the skits of some guy in Russia acting like the dust Svc for some American company. After a fee years replacement is cheaper than repair.

I'm looking for something better this year too.

I did a 4 year study for the DNR and the final findings essentially boiled down to, the lower end cameras are just as effective, some run through batteries quicker some have more features but essentially once you get over the 200$ point you are paying for specific features, we utilized mid range cameras, and 20$ cuddeback flash cameras with two settings and D batteries to 900+$ Reconix IR cameras.

I did a 4 year study for the DNR and the final findings essentially boiled down to, the lower end cameras are just as effective, some run through batteries quicker some have more features but essentially once you get over the 200$ point you are paying for specific features, we utilized mid range cameras, and 20$ cuddeback flash cameras with two settings and D batteries to 900+$ Reconix IR cameras.

This has been my experience as well which is why I always look for the fastest trigger time at the best cost. Reconyx has the fastest trigger but is expensive. When I looked last year, the newer Brownings had a fast trigger, but I found the pics to be blurry if the animal was moving. For my money Moultrie has always had the fastest trigger with the best pic.

Check out Trail Cam Pro for the latest reviews.

Back
Top Bottom