• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need opinions of my ODT family on what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
TommyT TommyT , 1 of your 461 positives came from me and it has more to do with your integrity than the deal we had. You sir, are a true gentleman and still one of the finest people that I have had the pleasure of meeting. You've done more than enough in my opinion.

Hopefully this new member will mature in his knowledge with his collectables and with private sales.

His response-“Well you supposedly sold me a gun in great to fine condition and it’s not.It is a paperweight.You haft to live with that not me.”
I would tell him I was fine with living with it, tell him all offers are now retracted, block his number and block him here.

He's not being rational so I'd just cut him off completely.

I am not one to try and get over on someone but if he ran 100 rounds through a 1 shot pistol its his. If you offered to help up to 200 for repairs I think that would probably cover the repair cost or a large chunk it. We buy guns after looking at the them and when we take it home and shoot like that it's ours.

I think you went above and beyond and your reputation here speaks for itself.

I do have a personal story to add that's kinda funny. I bought a brand new Charter Arms .357 Pug, the first cylinder shot fine, and every cylinder after that locked up, just like the Colt you're dealing with. I sold it to a member who is in this thread with full disclosure. He told me he never had an issue with it, ever. So possibly it was the Blazer .38spl ammo I was running? Anyway, he had traded me a stainless Marlin Model 60 in the deal. I put several hundred rounds through it without a single hiccup. Later I traded that Marlin to someone else, who then posted it up for like $50 bc he said something was wrong with it and it wouldn't cycle. So sometimes the chain of events that make you shake your head are just gonna happen, all you can do is roll with it the best you can, it happens to the best of us.

The colt revolvers from that era have very tight tolerances. It could likely be lead on the cylinder face or WD40 from a previous owner or the original lube hardened, He did not buy a performance revolver. He bought an antique that is a work of art. If he chooses to beat it like a rented mule with 100 rounds of who knows what ammo he needs to own that decision by disassembling and cleaning or troubleshooting. I have seen non collectors snatch back the hammer on fine revolvers like they are trying to destroy the hand and pawl and it makes me cringe.

I had a new ODT member ask if I would PLEASE sell him one my Colts from my private collection. I had a 1977 Colt Cobra .38 that was LNIB. The previous seller said in his communications "Shot once. Clean as a whistle. No flaws. Cycles and shoots perfectly." I bought it 5 years ago, never loaded or fired the gun, and put in storage until pulled out to show this Buyer. We met where he looked it over and he purchased the gun after I told him I had never so much as put a bullet in it. Days later, he said he shot 100 rounds through the Cobra at the range and occasionally the revolver would "lock up". He said he couldn't pull the hammer back until he "wiggled it a little" and then he could cock the gun and fire. He showed in a video, he fired through 6 rounds without issue, each time pulling the hammer back and pulling the trigger to fire it. On the 7th try, the hammer barely pulled back and he had put pressure on it to get it to release. Then he may fire 3-6 rounds and it happens again. Multiple people on the COLT forum said it could be old factory lube that dried up or be so dry with 25 years of sitting, a part could have slight rust and needs to be cleaned and lubed. 95% of Colt members said to clean the ejector star and underneath it to be sure it seats properly but this fellow hasn't tried either. HERE'S MY DILEMMA AND NEED ALL OF YOUR OPINIONS:

I never would intentionally do anyone wrong. I never even dry fired it to avoid turn lines and keep it looking new so of course I had no idea there could be an issue. I'm not even sure there was a problem when I sold it since I have no idea what happened from the time it left my possession. He wants to return the gun to get all of his money back or "trade it" for a full value credit towards another nice gun in my collection. This worries me after he has been messing with it and firing it for days. I didn't offer a warranty or guarantee and feel like he should have asked me when he said round 7 locked up and before taking it to the range shooting it all day and letting so many people mess with it. He said he also had multiple people look it over and try it and it happened to them but now I have no idea who all has handled it or would could have happened to my gun. I offered him to to take it to a gunsmith I met in Griffin GA but he doesn't want to drive that far from Douglasville! I said I would pay the initial inspection fee and split the repair costs up to $200 which I thought was beyond fair but he said it's too much trouble. WHAT WOULD YOU DO???
I can speak to the where's and whyfor's about what to do with your buyer but I had this same problem on a S&W 686 Revolver. What was wrong was the spindle on the ejector rod (the part with the knurled knob) would become loose after several shots and back out, pushing the cylinder rearward until finally it pushed up against the back frame so tightly the cylinder would not turn nor the action cycle. What fixed it was the tiniest bit of Loctite and some rod tightening using non marring pliers, BUT there is only a small area of threads on the internals of that rod where it screws into the rest of the cylinder and ejector star you can put it and you have to take a lot of care to not get the Loctite anywhere else. Less is better. That fixed the problem and I've shot 100s of rounds after that and never had that problem again.

Bet he didn't lube it at all. IF you are going to shoot a 45y/o UNFIRED revolver...lube it up. I bought a 66-2 that had never been fired, the action felt sluggish and a lot like you described...lubed it up...slicker than goose ****.
Its all about the lube….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom