• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need help with value on S&W

Mr. Rogers

Default rank <3000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
147   0
Reaction score
I have a S&W model 19-4 .357 nickel finish with wood grips. It is pinned and recessed, and is in it's original box with papers that came in the box. It has only been test fired three times in the factory and is in perfect, still new condition. This gun was purchased new by my late father in the late 70's. im not trying to sell it, but was just curious to see what the value is given it's condition. if you are knowledgeable in smith's and could help me out, i would appreciate it. thanks.
i51.tinypic.com_25g9nbq.jpg
i56.tinypic.com_14m7zv5.jp_IMG_http___i54.tinypic.com_23j5zkl.jpg
i54.tinypic.com_23j5zkl.jpg
g[/IMG]

Last edited:
First that is a beautiful gun! Congrats on your ownership of it.
Second- JWC can surely help you on this. He is a S&W guru..I'm sure he'll chime in here once he sees it!

If it truly is "unfired" (All S&Ws are fired at the factory.) 800+ is not unrealistic but not assured. To get near that, I think you'll have to go to a national site and wait for the right person(s) to come along. The price for one that is in excellent shape but not NIB would be in the $450-$550 range so you are looking for a large premium from a collector if you want to get $800.

However, just recently, a NIB 19-3 (4" blue) had a few bidders fighting over it and it went for over $800. Being a 6" is slightly detrimental to you on the collectablity. (People just don't like the 6" as much as they used to.) Also NIB blue revolvers seem to get more than NIB Nickel, probably because they are harder to keep that way.

You say you are not looking to sell it, however you do not sound like you are a true S&W collector.
My advice is to strongly resist the temptation to shoot it, sell it to a collector, buy a shooter and pocket the rest. You take that thing to the range several times and it may cost you $300

You could prob get $800+ out of it on gunbroker. What is going to hurt you is the fact that it is 6" instead if 4". People love 4" 19's.

If it truly is "unfired" (All S&Ws are fired at the factory.) 800+ is not unrealistic but not assured. To get near that, I think you'll have to go to a national site and wait for the right person(s) to come along. The price for one that is in excellent shape but not NIB would be in the $450-$550 range so you are looking for a large premium from a collector if you want to get $800.

However, just recently, a NIB 19-3 (4" blue) had a few bidders fighting over it and it went for over $800. Being a 6" is slightly detrimental to you on the collectablity. (People just don't like the 6" as much as they used to.) Also NIB blue revolvers seem to get more than NIB Nickel, probably because they are harder to keep that way.

You say you are not looking to sell it, however you do not sound like you are a true S&W collector.
My advice is to strongly resist the temptation to shoot it, sell it to a collector, buy a shooter and pocket the rest. You take that thing to the range several times and it may cost you $300

yep, truly unfired, except for three times in the factory in every other cylinder. im not a collector, but i inherritted several smith's, and don't plan on selling any of them, im just interested in getting info on them. thanks for the help.

I disagree. There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping your late father's gun in pristine unfired condition as a keepsake, even though you might not be a S&W collector. In my opinion, there would also be nothing wrong with taking it to the range now and then, even if it does knock $300 off the value, especially if you definitely do plan to keep it. Two things you don't really need to do; (1) sell it or (2) make it a truck gun or knock-about field gun. In your position, I would probably shoot it on occasion, clean it good, and put it up 'till the next time. I just bet that's what your father would like.

I would guess $700 minimum to about $850. Even though it is P&R, an earlier dash no. would make it worth a little more. It is a beautiful example of the tail end of a time when quality and craftsmanship still meant something.

Back
Top Bottom