• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need help with computer that freezes up.

DMGun

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
Hello ODT maybe one of you can assist.

I have a Dell Latitude D430 computer that freezes up at times. I only use this computer to look at the ODT and other web sites, so the only time I have seen this happen is while I am scrolling up or down a page.

I have used Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome Version 32 and Firefox 26 and it happens in all of the browsers. The screen just stops and nothing will move. I can't run task manager or anything. I hit CNRTL-ALT-DELETE and get nothing. I have to hold in the power button to force a reboot.

I have CCleaner and run it regularly. I do not see any anti-virus installed (I just bought this off of Craigslist a while back = boo).

Computer specs...
Intel Core 2 CPU U7600 @ 1.2ghz,
2.00GB Ram (1.0 GBRam usable),
32 bit operating system,
74GB Hard drive with 57.2 GB Free

THANKS

The good thing is, it can only be 269 different things so if a restore doesn't work, only 268 to go. :)

Seriously, the restore is good to try. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say it probably has to do with your Java if it's happening with all browsers. Try updating your java version in the control panel, or an uninstall/reinstall. You can also try to run Internet Explorer with no "Add ons" and see if it still occurs.

Have you tried letting it sit at room temp? Maybe that would unfreeze it.....

But it yeah I'd get more ram.

Last edited:
Good chance you need more RAM; browsers are sucking up ram like crazy these days. I would reboot, open your task manager to the "performance" tab, and start surfing and watch your memory drop. Also check the "processes" tab to see if any weird stuff is running.

I've noticed that Explorer 11 would use RAM but not release it even after you x out of the program, so I'm using Chrome now.

Back
Top Bottom