need help from the Ford guys here please.

hoochfisher

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
21   1
Reaction score
Ive got a 2000 expedition with the 5.4 in it.

I recently changed the fuel filter hoping to restore some power and improve fuel millage a bit, because I knew it hadn't been changed in over 110k miles.

First, yes it's installed correctly, with flow in the right direction, and hose fittings are tight.

After changing, it ran perfect for 3 days, then began to sputter and stall when braking. Now it's seems to be barely getting fuel at all and barely runs.

The fuel pump is running and can be heard easily. I've checked the line fittings at the filter and they're fine. I've also checked the fuel switch on the passenger kick panel and it hasn't tripped and seems fine.

I've been told it may be the fuel pressure regulator, but I can't afford to just throw parts at it and hope I hit the right one, nor can I afford diagnostic testing right now.

Has anyone here dealt with this? what was it? and what's the suggestions for the most likely cause?

thanks in advance.

Ive got a 2000 expedition with the 5.4 in it.

I recently changed the fuel filter hoping to restore some power and improve fuel millage a bit, because I knew it hadn't been changed in over 110k miles.

First, yes it's installed correctly, with flow in the right direction, and hose fittings are tight.

After changing, it ran perfect for 3 days, then began to sputter and stall when braking. Now it's seems to be barely getting fuel at all and barely runs.

The fuel pump is running and can be heard easily. I've checked the line fittings at the filter and they're fine. I've also checked the fuel switch on the passenger kick panel and it hasn't tripped and seems fine.

I've been told it may be the fuel pressure regulator, but I can't afford to just throw parts at it and hope I hit the right one, nor can I afford diagnostic testing right now.

Has anyone here dealt with this? what was it? and what's the suggestions for the most likely cause?

thanks in advance.
Is it throwing any codes? There's a ton of things that could be. You're gonna end up throwing parts at it until you hit the right one or pay someone to figure it out for you.

If it ran fine for 3 days afterwards it kinda sounds simple. Fuel filters are reasonable in price. I would change it again. Maybe you got more trash of some sort stopping it up again. If it's throwing any codes take it to a parts store. They don't charge to check the codes but act like dicks sometimes for doing so.

vacuum leak
I had the same issue with mine
hard plastic vacuum lines get old and crack
spray some carb cleaner around the hoses until it stutters to localize the leaks
I had this problem in a Sport Trac one time. Put a couple hundred bucks in parts on it before finding out that it was a $15 plastic pipe all along.

It may be coincidental with the fuel filter change but it also could be a vacuum leak like someone already said. My friends expy had the same thing happen. It was the hard plastic T coming off the plenum. I would still also rent the fuel pressure kit from AZ and verify that. That will rule out your entire fuel system aside from the injectors themselves.

I just remembered my friends wasn't the plastic that cracked. It was the rubber 45/90 degree connector to the plastic lines that dried out and fell apart. This was like 8 years ago so my memory's a bit fuzzy.

Back
Top Bottom