Need help from Ford mechanics/ technicians

Ive never heard of this problem except when I bought a new pair of Georgia boots an they were so wide I depressed the acelerater an brake at the same time, I love fords but if your worried about your family goin to the grocery store in it, it would be gone!!! And it is sad to say but Toyota is always a safe bet! Just my opinion

I just did some quick reading and found a few things that it could be:

1) Faulty purge valve - Engine shuts down in response to a purge valve that remains open.

2) Throttle body. Here is a quote from a forum post:

Dealt with this issue myself. Truck would simply die when driving. Engine would go dead, you'd lose power steering, etc. Mine tended to do it when I had let off the gas and then perhaps tapped the gas again. I the engine check light would come and stay on. Had to coast to a stop, put it in park, and refire. I couldn't restart coasting with a shift into neutral. Would then start like normal and no problems until it would happen again a day, week or month later. I took it to the Ford Dealer who read the codes... they wanted to replace the throttle body, fuel filter, and a host of other things that added up to Lord knows how many hundreds of dollars (maybe a thousand).

I then took it to Autozone where they read the codes for free. They looked at the codes and determined one of the things that could cause this is a sticking butterfly valve in the thottlebody. I have about 50K miles on my truck and allways changed the air filter so I wasn't sold on that but he recommended a $6 can of throttle body cleaner. I pulled the throttle body (not too bad.. only about 10 or 12 bolds to undo and I think 4 wiring junctions to to unplug from the throttle body after you pull the air intake. I did find a goood amount of gum down around that butterfly valve. I sprayed it and cleaned it all out so it looked like new. Put it back in and have not had a problem for MONTHS and MONTHS. All for a $6 can of cleaner and about 45 minutes of work never having taken it apart before.

What was happening is the throttle body is a fly-by-wire system. The throttle is opened electrically by a small motor that actuates the throttle when you depress the gas peddal. There is another sensor in the throttle body that constantly monitors the position of the throttle. Any difference between where it should be and where it is will trigger an immediate and full shut down (imagine if it stuck in the wide-open position and didn't shut down). However, it will also shut down if it temporarily sticks in the closed position, even for a fraction of a second. With the gum and varnish that was in there I can almost guarantee it would stick in the closed position briefly and trigger a shut down.

In short.. take it off, clean it up and I bet you won't have another problem for a long long time. Many people have reported these problems and there have been many dealers willing to chase ghosts and drain wallets. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed a host of things and upon your 3rd or 4th trip they replace something else and then secretly clean the throttle body after milking $1000, $1500 or who knows how much out of you. Try this before anything else.

A third possibility - the fuse box:

another quote from a forum post

Good day everyone,

As promised, here is how Ford managed to find what was causing my engine to stall and what Ford has done to fix it.

First I realized that the engine only stalled when I had a passenger sitting in the front seat, leaning towards the back seat to grab something or to hand food , toys etc. to my son.

Brought my F-150 to my dealership who was able to replicate the problem.

They realized that the passenger's right foot touching the fuse box plastic cover would squeeze a wire against the fuse box, thus shorting the whole system.

Fuse box was replaced.
No more problems since then (1 month).

I paid off my truck in March. I am still paying for full coverage insurance in hopes something happens to it and the insurance will total it. Cannot wait to never own another Ford F150 ever again.

Mine 04 expy just randomly stalled a few times.
Turns out it was the fuel
Pump relay.
Had to replace the fuse box because the relay is soldered in

But hat fixed my problem
But I didn't have hard shifts
It would just stall

I just did some quick reading and found a few things that it could be:

1) Faulty purge valve - Engine shuts down in response to a purge valve that remains open.

2) Throttle body. Here is a quote from a forum post:

A third possibility - the fuse box:

another quote from a forum post[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info. I saw the same information that you listed above. The dealer changed out the throttle body and purge valve and it seems to be working good now. So far no issues. Thanks everyone for all of the help and information. .

Back
Top Bottom