Need help from Ford mechanics/ technicians

1coolhand

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
150   0
Reaction score
We have 2010 f150 that we are having problems with. We bought the truck new in 2010 and few months later we a had a problem with the truck shutting off while stopping. We had the dealer we bought it from look at it and they did an update on the pcm. That seemed to fix it for awhile and then it happened again a little while later. We then took it to a local dealer and have them look at it and they udated it again. For a while it was good. Then we started have hard shifts between 1-2 and hard down shifts . And a shudder between the shifts. We had the local dealer look at it and they did a reflash on the transmission and told us to keep and eye on it. Then other day my wife and kids were driving it and was slowing down to stop at a traffic light and it shuddered and down shifted hard and the truck shut off . She had to put it in park and restart it. A couple days later she was driving it with my kids again and came to stop and it down shifted so hard they thought the car behind them hit them. All of these issues are intermittent and the truck is at the dealer now but they cant duplicate the problems. I am concerned about this because my family is in this truck everyday. If anyone has some good advice or info that can help us get her truck fixed.
Thanks 1coolhand

Update:
Talked with the service manager at the local dealer and he decided to called an engineer at ford in Michigan and he said he believes it's in the fuel management system. So now they're thinking all of this has to do with a faulty throttle body and fuel purge solenoid. So we are going to give this a shot and go from there. Please let me know if you or anyone you know has dealt with this problem or similar problems with your 2009-2011 f150 & any solutions you might have found.
Thanks
1coolhand

Take it back and run! I've had a Explorer for one month! Here is everything I've done or had to do to it. The only Ford I will ever consider buying now would be a diesel.....everything is now made of aluminum and brittle...
- rebuilt tranny w/ updated solenoid pack, valve body, clutches, & planetary gear. All parts on mine were toast... The new trannies are rated for 300-400k I was told. The one in mine.....50k....Smdh. ***ford knows about this issue***
- cleaned throttle body, IAC valve, Mass air flow, replaced air filter due to rough idle.
- oxygen sensor due to check engine light
- tensioner pulley due to engine rattle
- exhaust gasket due to rattle (now a weld is broke and it's banging against the heat shield)
- thermostat (gauge stayed on cool)
- full fuel system & intake cleaning due to rough idle
- fuel filter due to rough idle/sluggish acceleration
- air bag sensor( notorious apparently for wire splitting and flashes dash light)
- Vacuum leak under hood(A/C wouldn't blow "hard)
- Vacuum leak under dash(A/C would blow only when accelerating)

I gotta be missing at least a few other things......

Last edited:
I am concerned about this because my family is in this truck everyday. If anyone has some good advice or info that can help us get her truck fixed.
Thanks 1coolhand

I have been there and done that with 2 brand new Fords in the early 90s. This is what has worked for me.

Sell the Ford and take a beating. (That's true with any Ford not just a broken one)
Buy a Toyota.
Receive dependable service and minimal depreciation from your vehicle.
Get lots of hugs and kisses from the family .
Live happily ever after.

I think they fixed it by then. But some models had the fuel pump controller mounted to the frame rail above the spare tire

Controller was aluminum. Frame is steel

Any 10th grader can tell you what happens when dissimilar metals are bolted together

Fords are fine if you get them used for half price of the KBB

That leave plenty to make repairs. If you're buying brand new. You have to get a Toyota No repairs and not nearly as much depreciation

Last edited:
Man I had a 1996 ford ranger 5 speed with the 4 cyllinder.

Bulletproof vehicle....hands down the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and had 300,000+ on the clock and still looked new.

I sold it to a kid a couple years ago and he still owns it with just a new clutch being the only thing needing repaired since he owned it.

I think all I ever had go bad was a turn sig light bulb in rear and two coolant switchover valves that were made of crappy seamed plastic.

Back
Top Bottom