• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need help building a shooting berm

Have you considered railroad ties? There are used ones stacked up near the railroads where I live. Wonder if the railroad companies will give them away.
They are redoing the tracks through downtown Douglasville and there are big stacks of ties all along the road. I believe they will shoot you on sight if you so much touch one of them. Actually I believe they are toxic waste and have to be treated as such.

Build the berm taller than you think you need by several feet. I know after building mine over 9 feet tall you still saw marks from ricochets on trees behind the berm. Also build it wider

Yes, this!

Another issue: Target positioning, and what supports or holds the targets in place.

If you miss your target cleanly, your bullet will end up in the backstop, correct ?
And if you hit your target away from its edge, the bullet will either go straight through a paper or cardboard target,
or it will disintegrate on hitting a hardened steel plate, right?
That's right.

But,
what if you just nick the edge of the target or graze the edge of the wooden frame that holds your paper or cardboard targets?
Hmmm... hitting the very edge of a hard object will send your bullet ricocheting off at maybe a 30 or 40° angle. Past your backstop if you place the target a few yards in front of the backstop like nearly everybody does to be safe you need to have your targets almost touching the dirt.
Inches away--maybe a foot, but not several feet.

Gay GA is your biggest issue. No not the name of it, the location. Not a lot of ppl willing to haul their equipment from metro down there. Lots of time, fuel, and expense.

Great suggestions.....easier to have dump trucks drop off a few loads and use a machine to move the dirt around.

GL and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom