• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My son just graduated high school AND bought a 66' C10 fleetside 4x4

Bushwhacker

Default rank <4000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Unmitigated Badassery
119   0
Reaction score
My 18 year old will be starting college in the fall. Very smart kid, dual sport scholar athlete in college
Works his tail off and is very respectful. He's been wanting to do some resto work for awhile now but I've kind of shrugged it off and told him he didn't have the time, money or place to work on a project vehicle. Well the week he graduated he wanted to sit down and talk about a truck he found. At first his mother and I both said no way, then the more we talked over the next few days I decided that the best way for him.to learn why we were so reserved about it was to just let him do it and figure it out. Worst thing that happens is he doesn't get his money back out of it. He'll still learn a lot from that. I told him he was now 18 and had his own money and it was his decision. BUT, he was on his own for the whole thing. He would have to buy it, transport it, find a place to work on it, buy all the parts, insurance, etc. So he did it, spend almost all his money he'd saved, found a place to store it and work on it (I did break down and tow it for him.after he had a couple failed attempts). and is on cloud 9. He's got it running really well, though it has no breaks and the ppwersteeering doesn't work either. It needs a lot of work and he overpaid for it, but it is definitely cool
I say all that to say that, I know enough to be dangerous, I wanted to see if any of my fellow ODT'ers would be willing to answer a question or to when he gets stuck or had any tips or guidance to give ( parts sources, websites, forums, etc). It's all on him I just don't want him to get discouraged when he runs into some or the challenges I know he's gonna face. Not looking for any work to he done just looking for potential sources of information.

Here it is:

Attachments

• IMG_6714_20230605_091914.jpg
    IMG_6714_20230605_091914.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 142
Hey, as long as he can leave it parked in your driveway, what's to lose?
LOL! You're 100% right, that's why I told him he couldn't park it at our house because we don't have the room. So he talked to his uncle who agreed to let him park it in his detached garage while he works on it. Gave him until the end of the summer
So we'll see.... he has it cranking and running. Small block 400, idles and runs really well.

Nice find indeed. Looks like someone has already started on it before he bought it. I’d leave the patina and clear coat the outside. Good for him for taking this on. :thumb:

Cool truck!

Now there are lots of Facebook groups for specific vehicles , which is usually the best place to find advice and parts

Rock auto is the cheapest parts .

Near me , orielys auto parts has most stuff available for older cars if you can wait a day or two , and sometimes it’s noticeably cheaper to order the kart on orielys website for delivery to the store .

We were able to set up a corporate account at orielys and get some significant discounts on some parts .

Between me , my wife, son, and his fiancé we have 9 cars , so the store manager suggested we set up an account to get some discounts

My son was 15 when he started making noise about wanting a car .

We told him we’d pay him $3,500 to learn a foreign language, and he could use that to buy a car .

He wanted a 76 K-10 4WD Stepside 4 speed .

It cost $1,600 and would barely drive onto a trailer .

He still has it 11 years later and it’s still his daily driver .
He’s become quite a good mechanic working on it .
We switched the carb to TBI, then later swapped the four speed granny to a five speed .
Four inch lift , big tires , chrome roll bar and KC spotlights etc etc
Looks like it fell out of the pages of a magazine from 1979

Then swapped the 350 for a LS , and he did the wiring harness etc .
And later added Vintage Air AC

Y’all will make some good memories working on it .

I’m surprised it’s got a 400
I think Originally yours would have come with a oddball V-6

I think all the 60-66 four wheel drives had the huge V6 .
I think The 2wd had the straight six and then later the V8 .

Back
Top Bottom