• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My newest saving theory

parolebear

Default rank <5000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
216   0
Reaction score
My mother-in-law read an article about dry canning for long term storage (20-30 years). I have read some articles that even with some of the mylar and foodsaver type packaging the larva and mites that are in the beans, meal, flour and rice can eat from the inside out. The type of canning kills all the living organisms in the food. So, I decide to try it (plan to sample in about 5 years).

The process involves putting the food stuff in canning jars, placing the jars in a 200-225 degree oven for an hour then sealing the jar with lids. As they cool they create a vacum and seal the jars airtight. The long term heat kills the bugs in the foodstuff. It is to be stored between freezing and 80 degrees.

Other than foodstuff your biggest expense is the jars. A few years ago my found a yard sale with about 40 dozen quart jars for a dollar or two a dozen. We already had about 50-60 half gallon jars that we picked up down the line. I never pass up jars for sale cheap. We bought all he had and stored them. Took them out ran through the pot and pan heated dishwasher, boiled the lids and flats. After everything dried poured the foodstuff into the jar. Put the jars into the oven, after the hour removed them one at a time (to keep each one hot until the lid is placed). As they cooled they all sealed.

We put up 50 lbs of rice (Sams Club), 50 lbs of Pinto Beans (Sams), 20 lbs of bread flour (Sams), 20 lbs of all pupose flour (Sams), 50 lbs of fresh ground grits (local mill), 50 lbs of fresh ground corn meal (local mill), 10 lbs of mash potato flakes (Sams) and 10 lbs of dried onion (Sams). The article talked about canning pasta, cereal, some nuts, dried veggies, just about any dried food. My wife has ordered from a distribution company in bulk several spices that she wants to have.

I started canning my deer meat a couple of years ago and last year canned chicken and fish. If the local chicken plant has boneless (too lazy to bone out) chicken on special I try to buy some to can. My reason for canning everything is if the SHTF and we lose our power grid then freezers are a wet mess and the food is only good for a few days. I have gas stoves (three kinds) and generators for the well. I am working on a easy non-generator water source.

These are just a few of my thoughts, I am not worried about Zombies as much as I am yuppies. My weapons, ammo and mags are a whole other story.

Good idea. Thanks for sharing!

For dry foods - like soup mixes, pasta, beans, etc. you can also buy a Food Saver/Sealer system at Walmart. There is a port on the machine that allows you to hook up a hose, then you buy vacuum sealer lid kits for regular and wide mouth jars (Amazon.com has 'em). You suck the air out, the lid snaps shut, and presto, you have a vacuum sealed jar. I've seen people use oxygen absorbers and/or moiture absorbers as part of the process. No problems with pests or food going stale. We've been dehydrating tons of food, and will also use this for 15 bean soup mixes. You can find examples on YouTube.

Also, when sealing in mylar bags, throwing a small chunk of dry ice on top of the food, letting it evaporate to the size of a nickle or quarter, then seal the bag. All of the oxygen is displaced by the evaporation of the dry ice. This will kill off pests.

Larger oxygen absorbers will also prevent pest problems. Seal a mylar bag with one inside, and within 8-12 hours it looks like you vacuum packed the food.

Back
Top Bottom