• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My latest Savage tinker project.

BHJ

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
37   0
Reaction score
Several years ago I picked up a pawn shop beater Savage 30-06 from Candler Rd pawn for $165 from their clearance shelf. I took it home and worked it over first stripping it down and then replacing the trigger spring and tuning the trigger to a crisp 2#, refinishing the stock and bedding it to the action, and putting some Burris bases and rings on it along with a Pentax Pioneer 3-9x40 and a good slip on recoil pad. Here it is just before I presented it to my son.
i176.photobucket.com_albums_w188_bighonkinjeep_coupleofbuilds014_1_zpsbb26cf32.jpg

Well the tinker bug bit me again and with rampant Savageaholicism and tinkeritis I can never leave well enough alone. I had brought the rifle home from my sons house intending to upgrade the optics and switch it over to a synthetic stock. While visiting a friend yesterday I ran across a Factory 24" fluted threaded .308 barrel from a 10BA and it followed me home. So the transformation began. I had to open up the synthetic stock to fit the new bull barrel contour. I got out my Turkey fryer pot and filled it with water and brought it to a boil. I placed the fore end of the synthetic stock in the boiling water for about 4 minutes, and then while wearing gloves forced a 1" broom handle into the channel, wrapped it up with duct tape, made sure everything was straight and let it cool. I put some kroil on the threads, took my barrel nut wrench and popped the nut loose on the -06 barrel and removed it. At this point I checked the locking lugs and found the lugs to be making full contact. No surprise with the Savage floating bolthead design. I removed the ejector from the bolt then I installed and headspaced the barrel to absolute minimum using brass sized in my dies. After that I added a piece of shim stock and checked for no go and the barrel swap was finished. I dug through a few boxes and located the takeoff flash hider from an R25 project because there was no thread protector on the barrel. It wound up looking pretty cool. Then I turned my attention to the bolt and installed a bolt lift kit made from a cutoff shell casing, a ball bearing and a spacer for the bolt assembly screw made from 1/2" galvanized pipe and sized to .001 with a hand file. I reassembled everything and upgraded the optics using an EGW picatiiny rail with Leupold rings and a Burris E1 3-9x50. Well here it is my budget friendly Long Range Hunter clone. pardon the cell pic I'll have to get some better ones up to do it justice.
i176.photobucket.com_albums_w188_bighonkinjeep_charliesbeaterto10p_zps4b9afc03.jpg

Attachments

• charlies beater to 10p.jpg
    charlies beater to 10p.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
That's cool. I have to admit though I have never heard of anyone boilin the stock to open the barrel channel up lol but hey it looks like it worked!

Necessity is the mother of invention. Been doing some kydex research lately and it put ideas in my head about manipulating thermoplastic. It's just a tinker thing I'm sure you understand. I have seen and filed many myself but with this one I wanted to try something different to try and maintain as much material and stiffness as possible. Still had to remove some at the tip because the cutout there wasn't designed for a bull barrel at all but overall I'm happy with the result

If you ever figure out how to do anything with Kevlar lat me know I have a bunch of old vests I am sure something could be made out of with a little epoxy lol

That is looking good!

I really like the Savage 110's and family. If I was going on a high country/rough country hunt and just knew that the rifle was going to be abused, but still had to be accurate and reliable I would tweak up a Savage 110 to take.

Back
Top Bottom