• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My Grandfathers old S&W

Nice clean-up and pix.

Next: Post up a range report.
I am not sure about firing if with this new ammo. I have a real old box of Western Auto 32 but I am still unsure whether I should fire it or not. It in perfect working order but it does like it would still fire and do it well with the right ammo.

I had cleaned this gun up a bit since it was filthy for years. I took a razor blade to de-grime the layers of dirt initially and I cleaned it the best I could. Well out of sheer boredom I decided to take a Dremel and use some Mother's Polish on it to smooth out and remove some of the crap that didn't come off the first run at it.

The gun is 141 years old if you can believe it and is in fairly good shape. My father's dad carried this in his pocket every night when he was working on the railroad at night. He didn't holster it which is why I think the nickel finish is still in halfway decent condition.

Here how it ended up after just polishing with Mothers and a Dremel on low speed. It still has a little pop to the finish which is amazing considering it's age. It a S&W 1882 top break 32 and still in very good working order.
View attachment 5847677View attachment 5847684View attachment 5847685
alleycat alleycat

I am not sure about firing if with this new ammo. I have a real old box of Western Auto 32 but I am still unsure whether I should fire it or not. It in perfect working order but it does like it would still fire and do it well with the right ammo.

It'll fire just fine as long as it aligns properly when locked.

Most folks never have the short ammo in stock but Reed's ammunition sells new production ammo for them....looks like it takes .32 S&W shorts

-AC

There are black powder metallic cartridges out there.

32 Short, also known as .32 S&W Short or just .32 S&W, was introduced way back in 1878 as a black powder cartridge for small concealable revolvers.

Today, we would consider it underpowered, even by pocket pistol standards. But before smokeless powder and 20th century metallurgy, you couldn’t really expect much from a pocket-sized gun and the .32 Short was at least as good as any of its small-caliber contemporaries.

It'll fire just fine as long as it aligns properly when locked.

Most folks never have the short ammo in stock but Reed's ammunition sells new production ammo for them....looks like it takes .32 S&W shorts

-AC
It aligns absolutely perfect. I took a LED light and looked down the barrel and did a half cock and it snapped right into perfect position. It is real real smooth and positive to. Not sloppy like a gun that's been fired a lot. I doubt he shot it a ton. I don't think the gun has been fired since he fired it last. Which I know has to be over 63 years at least because he retired from the railroad before 1960 and the used a single shot shotgun to kill snakes after that.

Are there any old stories attached to your grand father’s gun? Just imagine, he was packing this gun in case of an emergency. I worked with a dude 20 years ago he was in his late 60s. He was a truck driver, that boot carried a 38. In his life time he had killed 2 dudes. One was an attempted hi-jacking, and the other was a dude burglarizing his home.

Are there any old stories attached to your grand father’s gun? Just imagine, he was packing this gun in case of an emergency. I worked with a dude 20 years ago he was in his late 60s. He was a truck driver, that boot carried a 38. In his life time he had killed 2 dudes. One was an attempted hi-jacking, and the other was a dude burglarizing his home.
Just an old Ghost story my Grandfather swore was the truth. He was walking back to a house from a place up near Panthers Gap VA. He had to pass a cemetery that the mountains folk at the time were scared to death of and said it was haunted.

Well my grandfather was passing this cemetery and a dog came out of the cemetery and there was fog from the river that night. He said he drew this gun and emptied the cylinder into the dog. He said the bullets went through the dog and he could see the dirt and rocks kick up right behind the shot that went through the dog. The dog just looked at him snarling and pissed off but then turned and went back into the cemetery and disappeared. My grandfather was a man of few words. Literally! I never heard him say a single word. He would tell this story and you could see the horror in his eyes my father said. Needless to say he didn't walk past that cemetery again.

Just an old Ghost story my Grandfather swore was the truth. He was walking back to a house from a place up near Panthers Gap VA. He had to pass a cemetery that the mountains folk at the time were scared to death of and said it was haunted.

Well my grandfather was passing this cemetery and a dog came out of the cemetery and there was fog from the river that night. He said he drew this gun and emptied the cylinder into the dog. He said the bullets went through the dog and he could see the dirt and rocks kick up right behind the shot that went through the dog. The dog just looked at him snarling and pissed off but then turned and went back into the cemetery and disappeared. My grandfather was a man of few words. Literally! I never heard him say a single word. He would tell this story and you could see the horror in his eyes my father said. Needless to say he didn't walk past that cemetery again.
Holly-molly!!! That is creepy!!! Thanks for sharing!

What a cool old piece ! Great job on the clean up :thumb:
Have a pro inspect it maybe ?? I’m not sure what they could do that you couldn’t but maybe it could be fired actually ??

Back
Top Bottom