My generation….

Built a 302 when I was 15yo. My dad bought a 65 Comet Caliente for me to put it in. I was drag racing at Dallas when I turned 16yo, kept me out of trouble wrenching on it all the time.
that's amazing....where did you get the money???
when I was 15 i was earning $.50 an hour....would have taken a long time to get the block cleaned/bored/ heads vatted. intake and exhaust valves ground, and set...cam and valves, intake and carburetor....not to mention the transmission and rear end....all that at 15!!! amazing

that's amazing....where did you get the money???
when I was 15 i was earning $.50 an hour....would have taken a long time to get the block cleaned/bored/ heads vatted. intake and exhaust valves ground, and set...cam and valves, intake and carburetor....not to mention the transmission and rear end....all that at 15!!! amazing
My dad had a junk 72 Maverick, and I pulled the engine from that. I worked for him summers, weekends and breaks doing plumbing. We had to work on and service the backhoe, dump truck and trailer, mostly on weekends so he could work all week. That's where I learned to work on things, as I was his helper since I was out of diapers. I earned the money for all the parts, and machine work at Chix in Marietta. I bought forged pistons, had it bored and honed, everything balanced, and used 351W heads. Bought a cam, lifters, springs, and Hooker headers from Super Shops. I took a Holley 750 double pumper from one of his old cars, and put it on an F4B intake. I smoked the clutch on my first run, brand new clutch, pressure plate and surfaced flywheel right in the garbage. I found a used TCI reverse shift C4 trans with a 3000 stall and swapped it out. He did buy me a car that I did not ever pay for, but I was able to do the rest working.

My dad had a junk 72 Maverick, and I pulled the engine from that. I worked for him summers, weekends and breaks doing plumbing. We had to work on and service the backhoe, dump truck and trailer, mostly on weekends so he could work all week. That's where I learned to work on things, as I was his helper since I was out of diapers. I earned the money for all the parts, and machine work at Chix in Marietta. I bought forged pistons, had it bored and honed, everything balanced, and used 351W heads. Bought a cam, lifters, springs, and Hooker headers from Super Shops. I took a Holley 750 double pumper from one of his old cars, and put it on an F4B intake. I smoked the clutch on my first run, brand new clutch, pressure plate and surfaced flywheel right in the garbage. I found a used TCI reverse shift C4 trans with a 3000 stall and swapped it out. He did buy me a car that I did not ever pay for, but I was able to do the rest working.
all at 15!! amazing

Was that you ?

Attachments

• IMG_9273.jpeg
    IMG_9273.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom