• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My first yote!

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
Had this girl trot by this morning while I was squirrel hunting. She was the second one I saw and my buddy Sinac84 passed on one about five minutes before I killed her because he wasn't sure it was legal. He's beating himself up about it, but I told him he did the right and ethical thing because he wasn't sure. I passed on a bobcat about 20 years ago for the same reason. Don't get me wrong, I WILL give him a hard time about it........forever. LOL!

yote.jpg

As a dog lover, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about killing a coyote. I can tell you now they ARE NOT similar. They don't even smell the same. Yotes seriously STINK and have a very different scent than a dog does.

BTW, anyone that thinks a 28ga isn't powerful enough, here's proof it will do anything a 12ga will within 35 yards. Droped her at 25 yards with #6 shot in a Weatherby SA-08 28ga with full choke.

Last edited:
I think there was a big pack scattered out moving through the area trying to jump game. The ones Sinac84 saw (he saw three) were about 500 yards away from me, but all of them were moving in the same direction.

:thumb: Dang brother, 28ga squirrel hunting gotta be 'spensive! Great shot on the 'yote!

Not to bad. You can get 28ga for around $10.00 for a box of 25. I wasn't using that ammo and the stuff I was using was a lot more expensive. Fed #6 High Brass. But I don't understand the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on a firearm and then going cheap on the ammo you run through it for hunting.

Great job Bear44. Folks don't realize that a #6 pellet travels nearly the same speed from a 28 gauge as it does from a 12 gauge. There are just far fewer in the 28 gauge.
Nice kill.

Back
Top Bottom