• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My First Southern Low Boil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for correcting me on how I was saying the name.... it is interesting that the "Frogmore Stew" dropped out.... but I guess that makes sense.... someone might of thought they were eating frog stew.... I made this for my wife.... she likes spice but not too much.... Thanks to a friend of mine who pointed out how much Old Bay to use.... I was going to use 6 times the amount..... This "Low Country Boil" surprised me how easy it was.... I can see having some fun doing this again in the future.....

Its actually called Frogmore Stew. That was the original name that derived from the little fishing community Frogmore in South Carolina (near Beaufort) where it was first made. BTW, the town no longer exists to the best of my knowledge.

Of course most folks just know it as "Low Country Boil" now-a-days. Looks great by the way. Hard to beat a good Low Country Boil.
The origins of the Low Country Boil go back to the slave days. Been around a lot longer than the 1960's. That's just when the fish company owner in Frogmore gave it his own name.

Love making them. Lot's of Old Bay, extra bay leaves. Yes sir! Found a new sauce that kicks butt for dipping stuff in. It's Sau-Sea mustard sauce from Publix seafood department. Yummy.

Looks like a job well done sir!

Next time cover the table with paper and dump the whole pot onto the table. No pans needed

bingo... this is the real way to do it... then all the drunks gather around and eat up like a bunch of zombies. At least, thats what it looked like when I did this for my bday party last year!

Quote Originally Posted by glock27 View Post
Next time cover the table with paper and dump the whole pot onto the table. No pans needed

bingo... this is the real way to do it... then all the drunks gather around and eat up like a bunch of zombies. At least, thats what it looked like when I did this for my bday party last year!

X3 Dump it on newspaper outdoors. A couple of sawhorses and a sheet of plywood or an old door or something makes a great table. set out a bowl of cocktail sauce and a big roll of paper towels and a pile of paper plates. Wait for the stampede :) A big garbage can and a cooler full of drinks are also necessary.
For cleanup break out the garden hose.

If you think it was easy last time these tips will make it even more authentic and easier. Always a real crowd pleaser.
HPIM0341.jpgHPIM0340.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah..... That is the way I have eaten it in the past..... I didn't have any news papers.....definitely the way to go...... I also was in such a rush, I forgot to add the beer..... next time..........

Quote Originally Posted by glock27 View Post

X3 Dump it on newspaper outdoors. A couple of sawhorses and a sheet of plywood or an old door or something makes a great table. set out a bowl of cocktail sauce and a big roll of paper towels and a pile of paper plates. Wait for the stampede :) A big garbage can and a cooler full of drinks are also necessary.
For cleanup break out the garden hose.

If you think it was easy last time these tips will make it even more authentic and easier. Always a real crowd pleaser.
View attachment 109926View attachment 109927

Wow.... that looks good also.....looks like you had a great time.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom