• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My first reloads....

Beerman

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
I finally got the chance to shoot the first 9mm reloads that I have made up. I was a little apprehensive about pulling the trigger at first. This is all new to me and I wanted it to be right. I took the 10 rds and put them in my G17 and here we go. I couldn't believe the accuracy at 10 yards. Right on line where I was aiming. I also found them to be very week and little recoil, but cycled fine. No FTE. I will make up some more tomorrow with a little more punch. I was at 3.9- 4.0 loads and moving up to 4.6 - 4.8... Man this is fun..

Glad your finally getting to test your work. Remember,.......always, always, LISTEN!!...when you shoot. Every single person who reloads eventually has a "squib" load. It's part of the reloading
process. I have a brass rod and a small brass hammer along with some copper fittings in the event that I load a squib. I drop the fittings down into the barrel and use my brass rod and hammer to tap the bullet tip out. I keep these items in my range bag. Enjoy your day......and listen. You will know if it happens.!!

Glad your finally getting to test your work. Remember,.......always, always, LISTEN!!...when you shoot. Every single person who reloads eventually has a "squib" load. It's part of the reloading
process. I have a brass rod and a small brass hammer along with some copper fittings in the event that I load a squib. I drop the fittings down into the barrel and use my brass rod and hammer to tap the bullet tip out. I keep these items in my range bag. Enjoy your day......and listen. You will know if it happens.!!

X2 No matter how careful, and how many safeguards they make it can happen!

I finally got the chance to shoot the first 9mm reloads that I have made up. I was a little apprehensive about pulling the trigger at first. This is all new to me and I wanted it to be right. I took the 10 rds and put them in my G17 and here we go. I couldn't believe the accuracy at 10 yards. Right on line where I was aiming. I also found them to be very week and little recoil, but cycled fine. No FTE. I will make up some more tomorrow with a little more punch. I was at 3.9- 4.0 loads and moving up to 4.6 - 4.8... Man this is fun..

I know the feeling of shooting those first loads. It feels so good when you pull the trigger and they hit right where you aim. I would be cautious with moving up in grains too quickly, take it slow. 3.9gr-4.8gr is quite a difference. Just try bumping up about 2/10ths at a time instead of jumping to 4.8.

I know the feeling of shooting those first loads. It feels so good when you pull the trigger and they hit right where you aim. I would be cautious with moving up in grains too quickly, take it slow. 3.9gr-4.8gr is quite a difference. Just try bumping up about 2/10ths at a time instead of jumping to 4.8.

Same advice from here. No point in jumping straight to max.

Those one hole groups will make for chiseled on "Southern Grins!"

If you're a whitetail hunter, wait till that first buck crumples where he stands to one of your hand rolled customs.
:rockon:

X2 No need to bump up the load that much yet IMO. I just started reloading a few months ago myself and have already gone through a brick of primers. So far I have found that max loads just make more noise and use more powder. I prefer the lighter more accurate, for me, target loads I make. Congrats on your accomplishment and continue to read and research as there is a lot more information to be found and understood.

That's great! The reduced rounds will save you on wear and tear. Your gun, brass and joints will appreciate that. If they are accurate and reliably function the slide then it's a win. Newbies do better with reduced loads so I use those first when breaking in a new shooter.

Back
Top Bottom