My favorite Veteran

I’m sitting in hospice at the hospital with my dad watching his beloved Bulldogs play Ole Miss. It’ll be the last game we sit and watch together. At the ripe old age of 91, his journey is coming to an end in the next day or so. It’s up to him and God at this point. The important thing is he’s resting easy and very comfortable. This is day 7 of unresponsiveness and total comfort care.

Ask him and he’ll tell you he won the Korean War. He was in charge of Iven Kincheloe’s F-86 and he never tired of telling stories about those days. The pride in his voice reliving those days always gave me goosebumps.

Dad lost his wife of 65 years 5 months ago after a long battle with Alzheimer’s disease. He’s been in pain for the last 8-10 years, he’s legally blind and deaf. I’m so grateful to have had a man like my dad show me how to be a man. I will miss him.

View attachment 6463501
God bless him and Godspeed.

Dad is with mom. He passed peacefully and in his sleep.

I’ve never understood why people start threads like this. I guess I always thought it was a little self indulgent. I was wrong. The thoughts and prayers from you guys helped more than I can put into words. Thank you so much, fellas. It’s truly appreciated.

Bill

I’ve never understood why people start threads like this. I guess I always thought it was a little self indulgent. I was wrong. The thoughts and prayers from you guys helped more than I can put into words. Thank you so much, fellas. It’s truly appreciated.

Bill
He is in his heavenly home and you will be with them again one day. May God give you peace and comfort tonight and in the days ahead.

O God, by whose mercy the faithful departed find rest, look kindly on your departed veteran who faithfully served his country. Grant that through the passion, death, and resurrection of your Son he may share in the joy of your heavenly kingdom and rejoice in you with your saints and walk hand in hand with his bride through the streets of glory forever. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Praying for you Sir, that God will be with you and your loved ones through this difficult time of sorrow, and may you rest in the promises of God, that one day you will meet again and what joy to know what joys await on the other side. Until then may he rest in the bosom of God with his wife. Enjoy the peace that passes all our understandings until the day we find it.

Bill
Sorry for you and your family’s loss. Losing a parent is the hardest thing. Godbless and Godspeed

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds,-and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of-wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark nor ever eagle flew-
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God

Bill
Sir, you kept your dad safe and comfortable while he was waiting to go home. You did a great job. You are a living tribute to a fine man. Get some rest. God bless you, your dad and mom, and loved ones.

Back
Top Bottom