• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Experience with Kano Kroil in the Bore

Bayou

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
0   0
Reaction score
Hi, All -

I have two Ruger revolvers in 357 - Security Six and Redhawk. Upon cleaning and brushing each bore with Hoppes, I noticed some residual deposits in each bore. Appeared to be residual small, but numerous, amounts/deposits of lead fouling. I started researching for a good lead solvent to purchase but came across a couple of reports of folks using Kano Kroil to remove lead fouling. Since I had some Kroil in the garage, I gave it a try.

Sprayed some Kroil in each bore and let them set for 20 minutes. Followed by about 10 strokes of a bronze brush followed by a dry patch. In each case, the dry patch came out pretty dirty on the first push, then after that, nothing more.

So, I then used a bore light to examine each bore carefully. The result - absolutely spotless, shiny and bright bores. Couldn't be better.

I've read that Kroil is not a solvent, but rather a penetrant that loosens the deposits so as to allow the brush and patch to remove them.

In any event, the Kano Kroil I had on hand in the garage worked real well for me. Didn't need to buy anything more to do the job............

All the Best -

Bayou

Kroil and MPro7. 2 of the best cleaners out there. Hoppe's is crap. It smells good and harkens back to the days of Dads and Grandads. Hoppe's had it's day. I heard about Kroil many years back after reading it's what bench rest shooters use to remove fouling and carbon from their guns and figured I'd give it a try. Found some in the shop store at the machine shop I worked at and bought a can. Never looked back. Kano Labs run deals from time to time where it's buy 1 get 2 free. It's worth it.

For the revolver guys out there (like me) a couple drops on the crane of your Smith will really slick it up. Also a few drops in the action under the side plate will work wonders.

I actually mix mine 50/50 with Hoppes and it works great.

BINGO

Used this combination for many years... works really well..

If you shoot a lot of jacked bullets then there are other bore cleaners that work very well by themselves. I use a lot of Boretech in my rifles

Mix it 50/50 with generic ATF (automatic transmission fluid, not the feds). ATF is cheaper than Kroil and has additives that enhance the action of Kroil.

ATF makes a good bench oil (like 3n1). Good for any fine working mechanism, reels, gun works, oilstones,

Back
Top Bottom