• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Muzzle Brake advice

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a precision armament M11 severe duty brake. It's going on a 22 inch 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. Anyone have any experience with these? If that isn't what it's cracked up to be what the better brake?

This is gun that the 18-in Shilen barrel came out of. I've been wanting the 6.5 Creedmoor so I changed it just to recharge my interest in this AR-10 build. It's just a few more little odd to dance I need to wrap up one being the muzzle brake and the next being a bipod. Any suggestions on that one would be out nice as well the last time I bought one it was a atlas or something like that it was $325 bucks I don't want to spend that much on this cuz I don't shoot it very often. In this case it'll be just simply a cost of ammo hell of a cost $100 to get inside it in. Not really but it's going to cost. Hopefully I can find a place for some once fired brass so I can start reloading.

Attachments

• IMG_20211116_113258660~3.jpg
    IMG_20211116_113258660~3.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 5
Any of the APA "Bastard" series... I have a little bastard on a .308 bolt gun. If it recoiled less, it would go forward. While that's a bit of an exaggeration, it's not by much. They work. They are not cheap though.

Please know though-- the more effective the brake, the louder it is. My rifle leaves me with ringing ears, after use in an indoor stall, even with plugs and muffs both. Kicks like a .223 though.

And oh yeah... you want one with a nut holding it on, so you don't need a lathe to time the brake to the threads. The later generation APA brakes have that.

The APA "answer" brake is also fabulous on an AR, but will clean off your bench when fired. Feels like you're hit with a breeze.

Any of the APA "Bastard" series... I have a little bastard on a .308 bolt gun. If it recoiled less, it would go forward. While that's a bit of an exaggeration, it's not by much. They work. They are not cheap though.

Please know though-- the more effective the brake, the louder it is. My rifle leaves me with ringing ears, after use in an indoor stall, even with plugs and muffs both. Kicks like a .223 though.

And oh yeah... you want one with a nut holding it on, so you don't need a lathe to time the brake to the threads. The later generation APA brakes have that.

The APA "answer" brake is also fabulous on an AR, but will clean off your bench when fired. Feels like you're hit with a breeze.
Appreciate it my friend's. Sounda like a no brainer.

Jarrod is kind of a jerk (owner of APA), but he does very good work, and designed the best brake around. He deserves the $$$. He earned it.

Back
Top Bottom