MUSCLE CARS: The Beauty of Classics & Moderns Super-Cars

8EE7DDC6-B8FC-4F07-AA34-C3CBDE557856.jpeg
6A95DFEF-463B-49C7-9C46-49B17C694DEA.jpeg

I guess the top. That car doesn't appear to have a roll cage. Engine would also play in the equation for me. I don't want to bother crawling over a roll cage. That Camaro is awesome. That said, I wouldn't feel comfortable putting more than @525hp in either car because I don't want a roll cage. The Camaro is a sub frame and the Corvette has a fiberglass body. You put more power than that, you risk tearing something up without a roll cage in long term use
That's why they invented sub-frame connectors. With the right set it can be really strong. My 2002 Trans Am had three point connectors from SLP. Heavy duty and strong as coffin nail. Plus shock tower brace and upgraded drive shaft tunnel brace. It no body twist with 450 to the wheels plus a hefty shot of nitrous. It was well over 600HP to wheels with no stress at all. That was on a T-top car with no roll bars.

That's why they invented sub-frame connectors. With the right set it can be really strong. My 2002 Trans Am had three point connectors from SLP. Heavy duty and strong as coffin nail. Plus shock tower brace and upgraded drive shaft tunnel brace. It no body twist with 450 to the wheels plus a hefty shot of nitrous. It was well over 600HP to wheels with no stress at all. That was on a T-top car with no roll bars.
Now that's cool. I'm old school and out of date on new stuff. Maybe I can have my cake and eat it too. Maybe not too far in the future I may start a collection of 70s trans ams

View attachment 4015299
Now that's cool. I'm old school and out of date on new stuff. Maybe I can have my cake and eat it too. Maybe not too far in the future I may start a collection of 70s trans ams
With older car its dicey. Those older unibody cars made it very difficult. The serious racers would do it. Thing is you have take out the seats, rip out the carpet and cut a 3 to 5 inch channel from the rear frame ( the two beams that the rear end and suspension on ) to what a lot of guys called a front clip. Once the floor is cut you weld the strongest square steel you can and connect the front half to the rear half. Then put your sheet metal in for your floor pan repair and seal it.

Some cars didn't require this but back then you did what you had to. With today's tech they enter in the car and the math and measuring had been done and they simply make the frames as well as possible for old cars by carefully taking into consideration what the have to work around. They make weld on jobs for old cars that don't require the floor.

These days it's almost as if they built the car with sub connectors in mind. Car designers do learn performance tricks especially with the muscle car wars back in full swing.

Frame reinforcement 101. I went through both eras so I absorbed every fact and process I could. I am a gear head in the worst way. I enjoyed very much but my body can't handle the stress of leaning over the hood. I would be in bed a month

View attachment 4015299

With older car its dicey. Those older unibody cars made it very difficult. The serious racers would do it. Thing is you have take out the seats, rip out the carpet and cut a 3 to 5 inch channel from the rear frame ( the two beams that the rear end and suspension on ) to what a lot of guys called a front clip. Once the floor is cut you weld the strongest square steel you can and connect the front half to the rear half. Then put your sheet metal in for your floor pan repair and seal it.

Some cars didn't require this but back then you did what you had to. With today's tech they enter in the car and the math and measuring had been done and they simply make the frames as well as possible for old cars by carefully taking into consideration what the have to work around. They make weld on jobs for old cars that don't require the floor.

These days it's almost as if they built the car with sub connectors in mind. Car designers do learn performance tricks especially with the muscle car wars back in full swing.

Frame reinforcement 101. I went through both eras so I absorbed every fact and process I could. I am a gear head in the worst way. I enjoyed very much but my body can't handle the stress of leaning over the hood. I would be in bed a month
Thanks for all the info. I think I'm back to my old school ways. It has served me well. Yes I'm aged too. But I've found out recently I'm not dead yet and may still have some life left in this old body. But I still have to work smart and at my own pace. :-)

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm back to my old school ways. It has served me well. Yes I'm aged too. But I've found out recently I'm not dead yet and may still have some life left in this old body. But I still have to work smart and at my own pace. :-)
I want a 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury lll. When done right there are beautiful.

Check it out. I had a 67 Belvedere in high school but always wanted one of these. They are very close.

Back
Top Bottom