• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mossberg Shockwave

FLGA

Default rank <5000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
502   0
Reaction score
I got a Shockwave when they were first released. Super excited that Mossberg put out a 14" barreled shotgun with no necessary tax stamp. They obviously get around this with the bird head handle.

Let me preface and say, I love Mossberg shotguns. They'll run all day for you, and I have several. I owned my Shockwave for a week, fired 6 rounds. The following picture is what made me get rid of it.

The standard shotgun has to be at least an 18" barrel to be legal. We all know this. The bird head handle was new and how Missberg got around it. On the shockwave , you will save any extra 4" of firearm, simply with the barrel trimmed down . However, you don't.

A Shockwave and an 18.5" barreled pistol grip are the exact same overall size. In my opinion, that bird head handle angle doesn't allow you to brace for the kick quite like the squared off pistol grip .

The pistol grip shotgun is way easier to control and shoot in my opinion. Not that a Shockwave is hard to control, just hard"er".

To trade some control or some comfort for a firearm that is 4" smaller than before, could be a great trade off. To trade some control or comfort with nothing gained, not worth it for me.

I was very surprised when I lined these two up. I lined the barrels up to the edge of the counter.

20171117_201737.jpg

According to Mossberg specs the Shockwave should be almost 2 inches shorter.

I don't have a use for a Shockwave but if I was thinking about getting one I don't believe a review where only 6 rounds were fired would influence my decision, unless there was a malfunction or safety issue.

I love my shockwave and have found it way more comfortable to shoot than a pistol gripped 12g. With a sling on it it carries better also. I realize its all personal preference but i still have my shockwave and got rid of my pistol grip with no regrets.

I love my shockwave and have found it way more comfortable to shoot than a pistol gripped 12g. With a sling on it it carries better also. I realize its all personal preference but i still have my shockwave and got rid of my pistol grip with no regrets.

Yeah, I have both and decided to get of my pistol grip shotgun and keep my Tac-14.

I have a Shockwave. Bought it....well.....just because. I have the adapter on it to use the Mini Shells. Works great for me, and for some strange reason, the bird head grip is to me easier to shoot. Now, let's be real, accuracy is not great with either grip, but with practice, I am fairly proficient with the bird head grip. Just my opinion.

I bought the shockwave 12 gauge this past summer, have about 100 rounds through it and no problem hitting what I'm aiming at. I'm not a big guy 170#, have an above knee amputation on left side and my left arm is completely reconstructed, forearm, wrist, hand and index finger is reattached. Shockwave is light and easy to maneuver. No uncontrollable kick. I recommend it highly for almost anyone.

I bought the shockwave 12 gauge this past summer, have about 100 rounds through it and no problem hitting what I'm aiming at. I'm not a big guy 170#, have an above knee amputation on left side and my left arm is completely reconstructed, forearm, wrist, hand and index finger is reattached. Shockwave is light and easy to maneuver. No uncontrollable kick. I recommend it highly for almost anyone.

Welcome home. Glad to have you back. Thank you.

According to Mossberg specs the Shockwave should be almost 2 inches shorter.

I don't have a use for a Shockwave but if I was thinking about getting one I don't believe a review where only 6 rounds were fired would influence my decision, unless there was a malfunction or safety issue.

I could have been more specific. I was reviewing the size and shape more than the function. Was surprised the Shockwave wasn't in this forum yet. Function wise, its a 590A1 heavy barreled shotgun and will fire every time you pump it. Mossberg reliability.

I had no idea they are about the same length. Were both of yours 5 shot mag tubes?

Yes, both 5 shot tubes.

To be more detailed to everyone, I was simply shocked when I laid it next to the 18".

This is a Heavy Barreled 590 pump from Mossberg. Great shotgun. I own a couple 590A1's and love the platform. I bought the Shockwave because it was gimmicky. Good little thumper to tuck away somewhere, but the purchase was for fun for sure.

As far as the pistol grip and bird grip, yes, pure personal preference. Its not a 50, I'm a big boy, a shotgun is not putting me on my butt. Regardless, there is a different kick from a 22 than from a 45. Its discussed.

I did not do a full review of the firearm, my format was not article worthy. I was just very surprised by the overall length. I saw the marketing, and assumed it would be significantly shorter than anything on the market before.

Back
Top Bottom