Mosin Rust Question

Bogboy

Default rank <1500 posts
69   0
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
I have a mosin (who doesn't? :D ) and upon taking it apart I noticed there's quite a good sized rust spot on the bottom of the barrel. I have not shot this yet and would like some input on whether or not its safe before I pull the trigger on that big ol' x54R. And if you do think it is safe what should I do, if anything, to stop the spot from getting bigger?
Thanks!

i41.tinypic.com_34zllix.jpg

i41.tinypic.com_21jn8l3.jpg

i41.tinypic.com_n1dn5f.jpg

i42.tinypic.com_s3of9c.jpg

holy h*** thats more than a big rust spot! lol. do you got a lead sled or someway to remote fire it? I aint never took mine down that far (too lazy to care about it) maybe i do that tomorrow... My OPINION would be to brush the rust away and check the O.D. of the barrel with a caliber and see how much it ate away and measure the area before and after the rust to figure out the taper and see if its still close to uniform.

Yeah it would do what blaze said. If anything take it to a smith to get it checked out. thats the worst I've seen under the stock of a Nagant before. I just picked up a unissued "b" barrel Finn M39 and I'm stoked.

Sand it out and reblue it. If it is more than a quarter depth the thickness of the barrel toss it and get a new one. Check the bore for rust as well.

Thanks guys, i couldn't think of what to do about!
And RSFcowboy- do i need a rebluing kit? and if so, whats a good brand and price? Thanks man

Back
Top Bottom