• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mortgage people - whats the deal with these new mortgage insurance rules and offers??

Guys and Gals,

I will tell you something about mtgldr. I have read most of the posts here and read almost all of mtgldr's answers. He knows what the heck he is talking about! I have also been in the mortgage business for 29 years. I don't originate loans but I have been involved in most areas of mortgages....including PMI. It has been rewarding but it is super challenging these days. Dodd Frank and the infamous Consumer Finance Protection Bureau (CFBP) has caused our business challenges like never before. We spend more money and time trying to find out how to be compliant, avoid huge penalties for things that we have no idea if we are breaking some kind of law or not. We spend huge amounts of IT resources trying to code our software so it can help us comply with all the BS laws and policies they "bestow" on us!! Here is the awful truth though. The Dodd Frank bill and the CFBP say they want to help the consumer. I think it is total BS quite frankly. Politicians are the only people that have profited (well attorneys too....sorry for all you legal guys out there :-) ) They, especially the CFBP, is a revenue/money producing machine with absolutely no oversight. They can fine and penalize at will. So, with that said the lenders out there, whether they are private or banks or credit unions, have to be very careful at how we/they lend money. Make a wrong move and it could be costly to the tune of millions (possibly billions) of dollars and we may not even know we made a mistake! All this money, whether you believe it or not :-), gets passed to the consumer one way or the other because it has to....especially if you have shareholders. The other option is companies decide not to lend because it is so costly and the liabilities are so astronomical. That reduces the competition, and the less competition the worse for the consumer. I just read an article last week in Fortune that said that Dodd Frank made lending SOOOOO much worse. Lenders simply don't want to lend as much now.

As far as PMI is concerned.....mtgldr is correct again. Without PMI millions of first time homeowners (and I mean millions) could never have purchased their first home unless they had 20% to put down. I sure didn't have 20% when I bought my first home! It is painful to pay it but the alternative is worse.....much worse! I don't particularly enjoy paying for life insurance or disability insurance because I ain't dead or disabled... but I do. LOL Insurance $$$ is painful but there is a definite benefit. That goes for PMI as well!

Quicken is a great company but I will say this.....you don't get something for nothing. PMI is in their price somewhere. They may actually write the check to the insurer but you are writing a check to Quicken and that PMI cost is there somewhere.

Lastly, and this may have been covered already but if your servicer (the company you make your payments to) wants to refi your home it is most likely that rates have come down enough they are afraid you will refi with another company and lose the servicing value on your loan. The have all kinds of predictive software at what point a loan will refi and the numbers typically don't lie. Mortgage servicers do not want their loans to leave their nest. They would rather lose a little money now to have that loan stay on the books longer. The longer on the books the better and the lower the interest rate the less likely it will refi off the books.

Good discussion!!

Guys and Gals,

I will tell you something about mtgldr. I have read most of the posts here and read almost all of mtgldr's answers. He knows what the heck he is talking about! I have also been in the mortgage business for 29 years. I don't originate loans but I have been involved in most areas of mortgages....including PMI. It has been rewarding but it is super challenging these days. Dodd Frank and the infamous Consumer Finance Protection Bureau (CFBP) has caused our business challenges like never before. We spend more money and time trying to find out how to be compliant, avoid huge penalties for things that we have no idea if we are breaking some kind of law or not. We spend huge amounts of IT resources trying to code our software so it can help us comply with all the BS laws and policies they "bestow" on us!! Here is the awful truth though. The Dodd Frank bill and the CFBP say they want to help the consumer. I think it is total BS quite frankly. Politicians are the only people that have profited (well attorneys too....sorry for all you legal guys out there :-) ) They, especially the CFBP, is a revenue/money producing machine with absolutely no oversight. They can fine and penalize at will. So, with that said the lenders out there, whether they are private or banks or credit unions, have to be very careful at how we/they lend money. Make a wrong move and it could be costly to the tune of millions (possibly billions) of dollars and we may not even know we made a mistake! All this money, whether you believe it or not :-), gets passed to the consumer one way or the other because it has to....especially if you have shareholders. The other option is companies decide not to lend because it is so costly and the liabilities are so astronomical. That reduces the competition, and the less competition the worse for the consumer. I just read an article last week in Fortune that said that Dodd Frank made lending SOOOOO much worse. Lenders simply don't want to lend as much now.

As far as PMI is concerned.....mtgldr is correct again. Without PMI millions of first time homeowners (and I mean millions) could never have purchased their first home unless they had 20% to put down. I sure didn't have 20% when I bought my first home! It is painful to pay it but the alternative is worse.....much worse! I don't particularly enjoy paying for life insurance or disability insurance because I ain't dead or disabled... but I do. LOL Insurance $$$ is painful but there is a definite benefit. That goes for PMI as well!

Quicken is a great company but I will say this.....you don't get something for nothing. PMI is in their price somewhere. They may actually write the check to the insurer but you are writing a check to Quicken and that PMI cost is there somewhere.

Lastly, and this may have been covered already but if your servicer (the company you make your payments to) wants to refi your home it is most likely that rates have come down enough they are afraid you will refi with another company and lose the servicing value on your loan. The have all kinds of predictive software at what point a loan will refi and the numbers typically don't lie. Mortgage servicers do not want their loans to leave their nest. They would rather lose a little money now to have that loan stay on the books longer. The longer on the books the better and the lower the interest rate the less likely it will refi off the books.

Good discussion!!

Dodd Frank is not profiting closing attorneys - at least not the small guys. It is a boon to the megafirms who don't follow Federal or State law anyway, and never will. It will shut down thousands of small businesses. It is also killing the small lenders and the big lenders are loving it, despite the fines that have come down recently.

I would like to refine ours but we bought it in 2010 with a USDA loan so we don't pay PMI. Worried that if we refinance we will start having to pay PMI.

For now we are just throwing an extra 200 dollar a month equity payment at the loan.

USDA doesn't have PMI but they do have a guaranty fee that's like PMI, it's now .50% of the loan amount, used to be .40%. If you had a really old USDA loan you may not have that but 2010 I believe they had the guaranty fee. Depending on your rate and balance there may be something you can do. USDA does refinance as well but now you'd have the guaranty Fee.

Great thread! Just seeing this now, great explanation by mtgldr & shotgunman! I have only been in the business since 2008 but I love what I do for others even though you tend to pull your hair out from time to time! :)

What I don't understand about PMI, is most business takes a risk for that business being open. The mortgage industry expects the consumer to pay or the risk (PMI) This really seems like having your cake and eating it too.

Quicken Loans did my first loan and my refinance and both times they were out of this world. I would highly recommend them as well. Next week I'm going to see about getting this PMI paid for by the lender like they keep advertising. I'll post back here after I talk to them.

Great information in this thread.

I have to admit that after several mortgages and a couple of refi's over the last 25 years, I do like how Quicken Loans operates. Their customer service is top notch, and I've always found them to be very responsive and above board, unlike some companies I've dealt with (looking at you Wells Fargo).

The only complaint I've had with them is they have screwed up my escrow estimates twice now, even though they have been my lender for the last 5-6 years now.

It also takes some getting used to their fast paced style. They call them Rocket Mortgages for a reason... they go from first phone call to closing really fast. For me it's always been around 2 weeks on a mortgage and two refis.

What I don't understand about PMI, is most business takes a risk for that business being open. The mortgage industry expects the consumer to pay or the risk (PMI) This really seems like having your cake and eating it too.

i’ve been in the PMI business and The mortgage business for 33 years. There’s no easy way to explain Pmi I can guarantee you. But it is a necessary evil. The good thing about PMI is that you can drop it when your loan to value reaches 80%. There is a much higher risk for loans over 80% loan to value. It’s just like any thing in life.... The higher the risk the more you pay. If there wasn’t such a thing as private mortgage insurance you would pay for it in the interest rate for sure and that would be over the life of the loan which would cost you much more in the long term . there are alternatives to PMI but you will pay for that as well.

Great information in this thread.

I have to admit that after several mortgages and a couple of refi's over the last 25 years, I do like how Quicken Loans operates. Their customer service is top notch, and I've always found them to be very responsive and above board, unlike some companies I've dealt with (looking at you Wells Fargo).

The only complaint I've had with them is they have screwed up my escrow estimates twice now, even though they have been my lender for the last 5-6 years now.

It also takes some getting used to their fast paced style. They call them Rocket Mortgages for a reason... they go from first phone call to closing really fast. For me it's always been around 2 weeks on a mortgage and two refis.

Agreed, Quicken was top notch. I made a call on the way to Florida for vacation. 3-4 phone calls, and a few e-signs later I was scheduled to close with an attorney upon returning home. Locked in 2.25% for 15 years

Back
Top Bottom