• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Minimum overall length

My 30.06 shoots best with bullets loaded as long as possible, such that they are a hair away from touching the rifling. This length is different with every bullet type. I determine it by inserting a bullet in a sized case with no primer or powder. First I seat it so long that it will not chamber; then I gradually shorten the OAL a little at a time by repeated test fitting and gradually seating the bullet a small amount deeper each time. The closer the bullet gets to clambering, the smaller the incremental reduction between test fittings becomes. The idea is to make the bullet literally a hair's width shorter than the rifle's max possible length. This works best for me with 150 grain or larger bullets in my Ruger. Any lighter bullets are too short; you won't have enough bullet in the case neck.

The limit to max length is the chamber, neck tension, and the magazine dimensions. This length is always longer than normal min OAL. If you have an overly long chamber, you may have to load them somewhat shorter than I do--you have to put enough bullet in the case neck to ensure a consistent burn.

As far a bullet being loaded shorter than min OAL-- it is not a good idea and would serve no good purpose.

Hope this helps and gets you reading more books, articles, ect ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom