• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Minimum overall length

Monsterman

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just started reloading and loaded my first round tonight. I loaded 30-06 with a Sierra Gameking 180 grain bullet. I used IMR 4064 powder at 42.9 grains. I'm also using the Lee Modern Reloading manual. Now, the manual says that the min OAL is 3.340. My first round reloaded is measuring at 3.219. So it's quite a bit under. But then I measured a Federal factory round and it comes up with 3.198. I'm really confused at this point. Can I use the round or not? Please just explain everything. Thanks.

Minimum OAL can be cause by compression of the powder charge. As you seat the bullet deeper and compress the charge the pressure goes up when the round is fired. Most of the time Min OAL is associated with a specific powder and charge and you need to pay attention to it or you could create an unsafe condition.

adjust the die that seats the bullet. Most of the time there's a threaded insert that is what seats the bullet. adjust it out quite a bit and seat a bullet. measure the OAL and then start to dial it down until you are at the correct OAL that you want. so basically start with the threaded insert threaded out quite a ways and slowly work your way in to get your OAL right. Then set the lock nut, double check the OAL once more, and you are set to go.

Your question about how to adjust your COAL is a little concerning. The moment you screw something up when loading ammo could be the start of very bad things. I HIGHLY recommend you get a good load manual and study it well before doing any more loading. Those that try to learn this from trial and error typically don't keep all of their body parts where they should be.

I also have the Lee Modern Reloading Manual. The starting load I see for IMR 4064 using a 180 jacketed bullet is 45.5 gr with a do not exceed of 48.7 gr and a MOAL of 3.300"

Be sure you're reading the correct line for the powder you have and follow the instructions that came with your die set for all adjustments.

When in doubt, pull the bullet!! Good luck and be safe!!

- - - Updated - - -

Why couldn't he use the RCBS "hammer" bullet puller but only tap it until he got it to his required COAL

That may mess with his crimp.

Back
Top Bottom