• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Media lifespan ?

mtw45

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
9   0
Reaction score
While I realize that it demends on amount of use,but what are some of your "guidelines" or suggestions for how long before switching media (walnut) out. Its hard to tell when it has lost its "edge" or efficiency.

There is no guideline that I know of. I simply run it until it takes too long or isn't cleaning good enough and then change out the media for a fresh batch. Since I usually run mine while I'm away or at night, so I usually get quite a few runs before I have to change it out.

pretty much forever if it's stainless media. ;)

walnut I would run till it was somewhat discolored, or stopped getting the brass clean in a normal time. I could pour a bit of the orange bottle car was stuff in it (or dillon case cleaner) and it would be better for a bit but it was pretty cheap to buy in bulk so I just swapped out pretty often.

I almost never replace mine. It is walnut. I have been adding a little every few months for the last 15 years and at least 35000 cases. I know it isn't the most accepted method, but my stuff always works. I add a USED dryer sheet to each load. It seems to suck the dirt out of the media and contain it.

I guess the point is, it is just up to the individual.

I've never changed out my walnut media.... it's probably tumbled at least 10K pieces in 8 hour runs (run it while I'm at work or asleep). My brass still comes out nice and clean, although I've noticed lots of dust on it lately. I need a nice windy day to go outside and dump the media between two buckets to blow away some of the dust. Mine is rather dark compared to the new walnut media. Still works fine.

I have added a teaspoon of polish about every six months or so- I found that too much polish creates clumps on the bottom of the tumbler bowl. Those break down over time.

I have two batches I keep. One for range pickup where dirt and grime is expected. And another for brass that is not dirty. I have been using both for quite sometime. When I think it's life is gone I move it to the dirt bin so I keep a cleaner media.

Back
Top Bottom