• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Mead Making

Not what you're looking for but I make kombucha, which is about 2% ABV. Easy to make and consistently good. Supposed to be good for you as well and kids love it too, though obviously can't give them too much of it.

Kombucha (3).jpg

Kombucha (4).jpg

Years ago when I was into zymurgy (the science and process of fermentation, esp beer) I made mead once.

Had to use champagne yeast for the high sugar concentration to allow a higher alcohol content and not be too too too sweet.

I was using large Grolsh type flip-cap bottles and the secondary fermentation in the bottles took months and months. Started too sweet, but after several months it was heavenly. IIRC, it took over 3 months, maybe 6?

The massive amount of sugar precludes most bacteria and other bugs growing in it, but cleanliness assists in the Godliness of mead.

As WallsGA alluded to above, when it's good, it's really good. Nectar of the gods and all that stuff.

In case yall were interested, I took a gravity reading and racked this mead last week and tried a sample. You couldn't buy mead in the store that tastes this good. I gotta check the gravity again this weekend to make sure fermentation is done but I think it'll be ready to bottle.

Gravity didn't change from a week ago so I bottled. Beyond impressed with my first ever alcohol. Look at the clarity! And tastes amazing! My only regret is I didn't take an initial reading so I don't know the alcohol percentage but by comparing it to an 11% store bought mead I'd say it might be 14-15%. Trying a glass now on an empty stomach to see how fast I get tipsy.

My next batch is still bubbling, ginger mead. Hope to try it by the end of Oct. I plan on making another batch with spiced apple cider soon.

Side note, this could be an excellent apocalypse skill. Good for bartering to make the locals drunk and happy.

20230929_164821.jpg

just saw this post.. Nice!
I made several 3 and 5 gallon batches 2005-2007. Still a few on the shelf. And yes sometimes it turns out exceptional... sometimes like rocketfuel. I pretty much do 1 or 2 gallon batches every year. Last few years I have been canning our blueberry's and peaches(from Titan farms) using honey from our hives as my sugar syrup. The leftover syrup gets strained ,heated back to 180 for a few minutes then into cider jugs for fermentation. Few raisins and staggered feeding using dap and yeast energiser. Used several yeast from champagne, red wine and even scottish ale. All with good results. The most appreciated I ever made was catching rainwater on Christmas day 2015 and pouring the honey directly in it. I used a yeast called 'Conan'. After a few months I added few cinnamon sticks and couple cloves. I still have some in the fridge and break it out on special occasions.
Recently lost all 5 hives so will be sourcing honey next year. Good luck with that newfound hobby! I love it and could talk for days about it.

Attachments

• mead.jpeg
    mead.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom