• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin lever guns vs Henry

gunsguitars

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
144   0
Reaction score
I have several Marlin lever guns in 30-30, 35 Remington and 444 Marlin. I hunt with most of them, but for some time now have been thinking about moving to Henry.

Just thought before I start listing Marlins for sale, I would check with Henry owners to hear the pros and cons of the Henry lever guns...

Thoughts?

I only have one of each to compare it to. My understanding is the older Marlins (which I happen to own) are superior to the newer versions. Others can chime in that perhaps own new and old. I have a newer Henry and am well pleased but also like my older Marlin. Can't say I'd choose one over the other.
So there's some completely useless commentary for you.

I’m all about the older, JM marked Marlins. I’m also all about Henry’s in general! They both have some great rifles, and I particularly like Henry’s all made in America creed. Their pistol caliber rifles are awesome, and I greatly desire a big loop .45-70. Of course, I also want a Marlin guide gun in .45-70... I’d say go with your gut, and get what you want. My plan right now is to get two Ruger Vaqueros in .44 mag/special, and a rifle to match. Then all I need is a good period correct shotgun, and I can get started shooting cowboy action. I’m kinda waiting to see what Ruger does with Marlin- hopefully they bring them back to their former glory!

Eric

I have both and have had several calibers. I love them both. I really do...the only real difference is the Henry’s tend to have smoother actions but the Marlins have the advantage of the side loading over tube loading. There are some Henry’s that are side load though, I just don’t have one. Also, the brass framed Henry’s can be real finicky. I had one and sent it back because it wouldn’t feed...known issue. I’d stick to the Henry steel receivers...they’re top notch.

Newer Marlins are every bit as good as the older ones if not better in my opinion. They had a few rough years there before and after the transition but they straightened all that out years ago. I have never been a fan of the Henry's but I have not owned one. Just sold a few. I mainly just don't care for the lack of a loading gate and having to load from the front like a tube fed 22. Plus the fact that Henry is just a name that has been bought and sold and has nothing to do with the original Henry rifle company.

I collect the older Marlins ! Don’t own any Henry’s ! The older Marlins to me are better! I wouldn’t trade a older beat up marlin for a Henry! I’m going to buy a Henry in 41 mag as can’t find one in marlin!

Back
Top Bottom