• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marathon training

Oh ok. I didn't know if you meant 5k, 10k, half marathon or full. I honestly can't imagine running 26.2 miles all at once or even in 1 week. My knees are way too bad.

You know, a lot of guys in my running group have said the same thing before they started running...I did too. If you practice good form, you will strengthen the tendons and muscles around the knee. Ease into it and you'll be fine. If you don't experience pain walking, then running will be fine.

You know, a lot of guys in my running group have said the same thing before they started running...I did too. If you practice good form, you will strengthen the tendons and muscles around the knee. Ease into it and you'll be fine. If you don't experience pain walking, then running will be fine.

I have or had a book on running, dont know if I gave it away or not but in the book it talked all about running form. Mechanically I'm not a good runner. I'm flat footed and that may or may not be a contributing factor to my heel striking. I love running though. I have dreams of running but between patellar tendonitis in 1 knee and torn ACL, MCL, and meniscus in the other I don't like to overdo it. I do about 2 miles a couple times a week.

What shoes do you wear when you run?

I have or had a book on running, dont know if I gave it away or not but in the book it talked all about running form. Mechanically I'm not a good runner. I'm flat footed and that may or may not be a contributing factor to my heel striking. I love running though. I have dreams of running but between patellar tendonitis in 1 knee and torn ACL, MCL, and meniscus in the other I don't like to overdo it. I do about 2 miles a couple times a week.

One of the things I miss most...running while it's raining. Used to enjoy that so much.

What shoes do you wear when you run?
The shoes depend on your foot strike and your pronation (how your foot strikes the ground). If you go to a good running store they will analyze your foot strike and how you distribute weight on your feet to make a recommendation on shoes. The Big Peach Running Company is awesome. Shoes have come such a long way in the last few years, that people that didn't used to be able to run without pain can. Make sure to replace them every 300-400 miles or every 6 months or so...it matters.

Currently I wear Brooks Pure Flow 2's, but I'm going to switch out to a Kinvara. (lighter, less structure, faster). I'll probably use the Flow for marathons, and the Kinvara for anything shorter.

Last edited:
I've run 2 half marathons. Got a bloody nose on mile 3 of the second one and must have looked like a lunatic running while covered in blood. Fun stuff, I should probably start running again.

The shoes depend on your foot strike and if your pronation (how your foot strikes the ground). If you go to a good running store they will analyze your foot strike and how you distribute weight on your feet to make a recommendation on shoes. The Big Peach Running Company is awesome. Shoes have come such a long way in the last few years, that people that didn't used to be able to run without pain can. Make sure to replace them every 300-400 miles or every 6 months or so...it matters.

Currently I wear Brooks Pure Flow 2's, but I'm going to switch out to a Kinvara. (lighter, less structure, faster). I'll probably use the Flow for marathons, and the Kinvara for anything shorter.

Shoes really do make the difference. I wear a 4E shoe and few years back did not have much of a selection and my paws paid for it. My first marathon was roughly two months after I was discharged the first time and and all of my co-workers were signed up and I got a late registration (totally out of the blue) and only had 8 weeks to up my running from roughly 35-40 miles a week to a few extended runs I certainly paid for it when I hit the wall at roughly mile 19-20. My time sucked but I made it and that was all that mattered then. The second I attended I was much more prepared for. Strangely I had my right foot X-rayed a few months ago and was told I had a defect in the bones and the doc was surprised I had ever been able to run that much much less served in the infantry as long as I did..

Lots of folks I know have two pairs and rotate them, disposing of one and adding a new after a certain amount of time, no sure how long but I will ask. Laufen is spot on regarding how far they have come technologically.

Are we talking marathon poop or marathon sex?
I can give great advice on the former, not so much on the latter.
I'm still pretty damn good at marathon drinking too!

Last edited:
My marathon days are over. It's all I can do to run a 10K now.

Here's the best advice: the Marine Corps marathon in Washington IS A MUST! I promise that it will be one of the most rewarding experiences of your entire life.

And I'm a former Army guy, not a Marine!

Back
Top Bottom