Making new hole punchers

Brett

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
68   0
Reaction score
OK my first reloads went bang just like they were supposed to but I had some leading with my cast bullets. I had cast ww straight and air cooled them. I was told that was too soft so tonight I made up a new batch. I added some wiping solder to my ww mix, it is supposedly a 63/37 mix, in a 6 to 1 ratio. I also quenched the fresh bullets by dropping them gently into ice water out of the mold. I also made a batch and am letting them air dry only to see if that works also. My first batches of straight ww weighed in at 128gn in my 125gn mold. These new ones weighed in at 124gn so i know I got some tin into them at least. They should be ready to load in a couple of days.

OK my first reloads went bang just like they were supposed to but I had some leading with my cast bullets. I had cast ww straight and air cooled them. I was told that was too soft so tonight I made up a new batch. I added some wiping solder to my ww mix, it is supposedly a 63/37 mix, in a 6 to 1 ratio. I also quenched the fresh bullets by dropping them gently into ice water out of the mold. I also made a batch and am letting them air dry only to see if that works also. My first batches of straight ww weighed in at 128gn in my 125gn mold. These new ones weighed in at 124gn so i know I got some tin into them at least. They should be ready to load in a couple of days.

Sounds like forward progress to me. The quenching hardends metal and heating then slowing cooling anneals (softens) metal. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Did you slug the bore of the weapon?
What are you sizeing them at?
Lube type?

Just normal questions is all.
Tin does make the bullet lighter to some degree but it sure helps in makeing a good bullet by filling out the mold better.
The slight amount of arsenic in the ww's is what is helpful when you wq the bullet.
The bullets are going to be a little harder to size than normal due to the wq.

Keep us posted on your results.

Another caster of bullets in Newnan!

Tom

Did you slug the bore of the weapon?
What are you sizeing them at?
Lube type?

Just normal questions is all.
Tin does make the bullet lighter to some degree but it sure helps in makeing a good bullet by filling out the mold better.
The slight amount of arsenic in the ww's is what is helpful when you wq the bullet.
The bullets are going to be a little harder to size than normal due to the wq.

Keep us posted on your results.

Another caster of bullets in Newnan!

Tom

I slugged my barrel but do not have a micrometer yet, best repeatable I could get with my caliper was .354 and my Lee .356 mold is dropping them out at .356. No sizing. I am using Lee tumble lube alox.

Success!!!!! I went to the range today with some, water quenched WW mixed with 60/40 wiping solder, 124gn 9mm and I had no to very little leading. I had made some new lube 50/50 JPW & Alox and it looks like it did very good. Now I just need to find the load I like for my M&P.

Ain't nothing any more satifying than rolling your own and having everything work. When you start printing one hole groups, or take your first game with one of your own, those will be a red letter day too.

Congratulation !!! CD

Back
Top Bottom