• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Make a 15 round magazine, 10 RD Advantage Arms.

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I had mentioned this before but needed to provide a detailed walk through on how to convert The Advantage Arms (AA) 10 round full size magazines to 15 round magazines with factory AA Glock 26/27 parts for a measly $9 + shipping and a bit of drilling a 15 round AA Glock full size magazine can be had reasonably. The old link to increasing magazine capacity:

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...apacity-of-a-22-lr-pistol.107285/#post-634508

i43.tinypic.com_2l94d3p.jpg

Link for Glock 26/27 parts parts (Magazine follower $5 and magazine plunger $4):http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

Depress the magazine plunger with a punch and gut the magazine. This is required for routine maintenance/cleaning.

i39.tinypic.com_jz6v5l.jpg

These are the original parts and the AA factory Glock 26/27 parts to be swapped but hold on a bit of drilling with a 25/64" drill bit is required.

i41.tinypic.com_1zdnfqb.jpg

Care needs to be given to not go too far with the drilling of the magazine follower channel. Caution, easy to lose a finger doing this (take any rings off).

i43.tinypic.com_fz98h5.jpg

i44.tinypic.com_otma1j.jpg

Go about this deep but not through the top of the magazine follower channel.

i40.tinypic.com_o852ee.jpg

i43.tinypic.com_30aayr8.jpg

More to follow

Last edited:
I angle the rear portion of magazine follower a bit with a file or dremel tool to allow it to ride a tad further up in the magazine.

i41.tinypic.com_2i70pkl.jpg

i39.tinypic.com_aua61z.jpg

Clean any burs out with file or sand paper and reassemble the AA Glock 17/22 magazine with the AA Glock 26/27 parts. There is a slight difference in the deck height of the follower as seen in this image but it doesn't seem to affect function. The follower needs to come up enough to allow the slide to lock to the rear.

i40.tinypic.com_2e5meiq.jpg

But RamRoddoc I'm broke and can't afford the parts and shipping. Rest assured their is a cheap way to get 14 rounds into the magazine and not spend a penny for parts.

Just take the old AA Glock 17/22 follower and whittle it down and skip the magazine plunger.

i42.tinypic.com_2zrkdp1.jpg

i41.tinypic.com_99hrus.jpg

Hey doc, I'm just not Gucci with the floor plate not having the magazine plunger in it securing the plate from moving and I'm not duct taping the thing. Well ok, then make a plunger tube follower. I made one out of a .44 lead cast bullet on a drill press-turned into a lead lathe. The old plungers are steel. The new ones are plastic and it should be easy to trim these to fit. You will lose another round but have reliable 13 round magazines.

i43.tinypic.com_21e57ba.jpg

i44.tinypic.com_1eoxvt.jpg

i39.tinypic.com_2q83caw.jpg

Last edited:
Who wouldn't want more?

i39.tinypic.com_w9jzb9.jpg

Lastly don't do this if the liberal communist have taken control of your state or local area, because you would be....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info!

I will definitely try that if I can get my kit to cycle more than times in a row!

(Of course, I have only been able to try a couple different types of ammo, so that is probably the issue.)

Now how about making AA magazines run right if they aren't.

The factory kits have made a few changes and magazines have been updated at the factory but for what ever reason I still have issues with them desiring a specific brand/type of ammo. I really don't like that. Many reports of a simplistic correction with just a dremeling of the front feed lips to melt them/arch the tip. I'm sure it is a good method and I use it but go further.

Watching the magazines for wear, a faint visible line appeared on the right of the magazine is noted and identified as fat to be reduced. This line was visible after about 30 rounds fired.

i39.tinypic.com_2v00l1v.jpg

The magazine lip should be flush on the newer magazines. On some older magazines they were elevated a bit. Curving the tip of the leading edge of the magazine lip enhanced ejection as the rim would catch the beefy tip and jack things up.

i44.tinypic.com_2u8v6mx.jpg

Upon firing as the slide recoiled pulling the empty case out of the chamber it would catch the lip of the magazine and prevent reliable ejection. Some ammo just plain refused to eject. The drag marks toward the left rear of the magazine faintly appeared on the 2013 magazine in 30 rounds or so. Some magazine material needs reduced.

i40.tinypic.com_2yma77s.jpg

i44.tinypic.com_w2mtfa.jpg

Here are some comparisons:

i40.tinypic.com_11tlmk5.jpg

i42.tinypic.com_2ex7br8.jpg

A hand file keeps things straight and takes plastic off a bit slower but much more forgiving if an error occurs.

i41.tinypic.com_2mong4l.jpg

Enhanced performance of the AA magazine's is realized but more can be done, follow along.

Last edited:
A fairly simple enhancement to any semi-auto is to polish the feed ramp or throat. I often use just use a spent case but the AA feed ramp is rather small and an aluminum .22 Cal cleaning kit rod fits the channel exactly.

i39.tinypic.com_4uhsgm.jpg

i43.tinypic.com_x1ap94.jpg

Some fine grit paper 800-1000 should do the deed. The intent is not to remove metal but to polish it. Machine marks are often an easy to observe warning that metal is being removed as they appear then thin. Don't erase them.

i40.tinypic.com_2s92brb.jpg

Like this:

i44.tinypic.com_29uyphz.jpg

Next seems to be a recurring issue with Advantage arms. The extractor has so much meat on it and angle that as the slide moves forward into battery it shoves the extractor off the rim then plays hell to grab it again under recoil. It needs a bit of a diet as well.

Here are comparisons of without an extractor reduction and with extractor reduction.

i39.tinypic.com_2pzibmd.jpg

The extractor can be seen lifting up and nearly off the rim.

i40.tinypic.com_11m51dy.jpg

Last edited:
The extractor face needs a reduction and polish.

i41.tinypic.com_ouuxih.jpg

A pair of vice grips make for a protective guard and assist in holding the small part while a small file is used to re contour the face which contacts the breech area.

i44.tinypic.com_2isf3tz.jpg

I tried to not take metal off the tip but it was nearly impossible, so don't take too much or you will need another extractor. After file then on to paper 800-1000 grit is used to polish the extractor face. Make sure the metal is flat and not skewed to the side. A flat contact makes for a fat scrape line on the paper.

i41.tinypic.com_kdn4mv.jpg

i40.tinypic.com_2lxxcb5.jpg

I use punches but a drill bit could be used as well to slip in the extractor to check progress and reduce lifting. My 2008 kit I pretty much got nearly all the lifting off the extractor but this 2013 kit the extractor still lifted some but much better than when I began. It should run well with a wider selection ammo and 15 round magazines......

i43.tinypic.com_kbrghs.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again for this thread!

I tried filing down the right side of the mag for my G19 conversion. I could actually see where the slide had been dragging.

(Knock on wood.) So far-it is like a whole new gun! I am very excited to have this thing functioning properly!

Thanks for the great info! (I was about ready to chuck that kit in a river-but now it seems to be purring along very well!)

Back
Top Bottom