• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

MAJOR UPDATE: Phineas C. Zoid - Pistol Whack . . . . . (my first custom 1911 build)

BTW, that light color streak on the bottom of the slide above . . .

I've determined it is coming from the surface marked below . . . .

download.png

Stoning the bottom of the slide will take care of the area marked "D" in red. looks like you only have to take .001" from "B" on the frame and you should be GTG. Id use a stone on the frame rails and check as I go, you should be able to get a really nice fit!

Yep—looks like the “B” width is the only area that needs attention before some light slide lapping. Do it with the ejector not installed.

Stoning the bottom of the slide will take care of the area marked "D" in red. looks like you only have to take .001" from "B" on the frame and you should be GTG. Id use a stone on the frame rails and check as I go, you should be able to get a really nice fit!

The only stones I have any experience with are kidney stones . . . and I ain't going through that again.

I guess some research on Brownells us in order. Recommendations?

Yep, Brownells, Midway, Amazon... India Stones or Arkansas Stones or "hones" Basically the same stones used to sharpen knives. You can get a set with a variety of "grits". They are the way you want to polish flat surfaces like rails, sear, hammer hooks etc. Not terribly expensive and will come in very useful. A nice new 1/2" x 6" fine or extra fine Arkansas Stone on the rails will remove metal slowly, keep them flat and allow you to really sneak up on a perfect fit.

I know it's been a while since I've posted. I have been taking baby steps in getting the slide to fit the frame. I gave up on the whole file approach and started collecting abrasive stones - india, arkansas, aluminum oxide, ceramic. These all seemed WAY less likely to cause irreparable damage to any of the parts VS the files.

I was getting some really good results getting the slide to fit over the frame . . . . until . . . . the slides hit the area where the ejector is installed (I ordered the frame from JEM with this staked in place). I could get about 1/2" into the ejector, then BAM, the slide locks up tight . . . .

But this isn't the thing that has me scratching my head lately. Have any of you ever had THIS problem?

I've been working on trying to get the magazine release fitted so it doesn't require you to press the release button to insert a magazine. That should be a no-brainer, right? Just file the slope of the lower edge until the magazine comes in contact with the sloped portion, and not a flat portion.

Well after I worked on that a bit, I started having a problem with the mag catch lock shifting or backing out slightly so that after releasing the magazine, it sticks in a slightly outward position. I have to get a screw driver to twist the catch lock back into position. What could be the cause of this? And conversely, what should I do to fix it?

mag-catch.jpg

The rails on that JEM frame are probably way oversize so it can be used with any slide, this is a good thing!
You have to find a way to measure the inside width of the groove in the slide the frame rails ride in ( I use an adjustable parallel) and mill/ file or stone the frame rails to fit the slide, then usually you can stone the bottom of the slide to fit the groves in the frame. I hope I explained that right....

I was getting some really good results getting the slide to fit over the frame . . . . until . . . . the slides hit the area where the ejector is installed (I ordered the frame from JEM with this staked in place). I could get about 1/2" into the ejector, then BAM, the slide locks up tight . . .

Your ejector should be pinned in place. You can drive the pin out and remove the ejector.

"I have to get a screw driver to twist the catch lock back into position."

Remove the catch and look for burs in this area. Try a different catch lock if you have one. This is not a precision part, easy to find one out of tolerance.

Anyway, enough of all this technical talk, back to the shenanigans . . . .

I thought I would try on a couple of different pairs of shoes on Junior until Dr. Frankenstein can get him put together.

This pair is a favorite of mine . . . I made them myself (fashioned would probably be a better term)

img_20171201_155441-jpg.88572

img_20171201_155531-jpg.88573

Back
Top Bottom