• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Magpul GL9 G17 mags- Really?!

dial1911

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
99   0
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying I really like the Magpul AR parts and magazines I've bought over the years. All have been good quality, they look good, and at least some of the grips and stocks have taken a beating and still function fine.

Now, on to this new product, the GL9 magazine for the Glock 9mm pistols. I was quite excited to hear Magpul was entering the aftermarket pistol magazine arena. I was equally excited to hear them say "we messed up and we're fixing it" regarding the problems they had with the GL9 mag in G19's and G26's.

So when DSG had them on sale, four of the new GL9 mags found their way into my shopping cart along with the AR upper I was ordering.

They arrived today. Granted, I have not shot any of these yet and I've just taken one out of the package at the office to check it out, but they feel pretty cheap. The surface finish appears to be very fibrous and it's pretty slick. Slick to the point that I could see myself dropping one of these on accident.

I think the orange follower is a nice option. However, there are no witness holes except for one at the bottom of the mag to show when there are a full 17 rounds in it. So you know when it's full, empty, or somewhere in between based on weight... good luck guessing how many bullets are in there. I'm not one to stop shooting and remove the mag mid string to see how many bullets are left, but I do appreciate those holes when reloading mags between stages. And when verifying I've loaded "X" number of rounds allowed for a particular stage/match.

I put one of my spare mags in for reference... standard G17 factory mag. Anyway, a few pictures (which is something that is sorely missing from most of the online retailers!):

20150710_171623.jpg

20150710_171700.jpg

20150710_171754.jpg

20150710_171741.jpg

20150710_162043.jpg

20150710_171721.jpg

Weather and wife permitting, I'm taking these to the range tomorrow to run through a couple hundred rounds of ammo. We'll see how they do and I'll post the results. I'm hoping for good function- because my first impressions are far from what I was expecting... not in a good way.

I got one of these myself from the army\navy in Forest park when I stopped by there the other day .

Seemed to be an OK mag
cute lil orange follower
$16.95 price tag
felt OK..... but ...

17th round near impossible to load

when I did ,it was tough to get it to lock in the weapon

That spring is strong !

I fired a couple dozen rounds using the mag and it was 100%

I don't like that it has no round count holes, but it seems to be a pretty good mag

I place it somewhere between Glock factory and Korean mags

I think it will be fine for a range\spare\truck mag :-)

Last edited:
I'm glad to see your thoughts on the magazine. At this point I don't have any doubts that they will function tomorrow... at least, I don't expect problems at the range. My first impressions were well below what I expected. And I really wanted to see the round count/witness holes on the back of the mag.

So far, it's less than I expected for the price point. I guess we'll see how they work and rethink from there.

I see no reason to buy a Magul mag over better built Glock mags.

My first impression is to fully agree with this. I'm not sure a five dollar savings is worth the difference.

"the difference" specifically referring to the lack of witness holes and the slick sides. And at this point I haven't even put a round in one of them. I have a green light from my wife to go to the range tomorrow, so I guess I'll see how they perform there.

I got mine for under $14/mag.

I agree with most of what's been posted above:

- they feel cheaper than Glock mags
- I'd love more witness holes
- that 17th round is a mf'er to load

With the average price of factory mags at $22-25 each, I consider these a win.

I've been using 6 for matches (why beat up factory mags)??

They have been 100% reliable for me in my Glock 17, 19 and 34. Worth a try if you're ok with the posted drawbacks.

Back
Top Bottom