Lost a good friend this weekend

ole ed

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
A good man passed away this weekend. I had known him 40 years. We worked at the same place. I was 19 and just starting to hunt wma's and asked around if anybody knew about cedar Creek. Somebody said go ask Bart he hunts down there. He was a loader operator that I knew in passing. So I climbed up on his loader and we became good friends. He and his wife had an airstream trailer on a friend's property about a mile from the check station and when he retired in 84 they bought 16 acres and moved in. I visited as much as job would allow and called quite often. His wife always called me her boy. The didn't have kid and were my extra parents. His wife passed away about 15 years ago. He stayed on under the watchful eye of good neighbors and local hound dogs that came by for dinner. I got the bad call on Sunday morning, a neighbor had found him. He had just turned 97. He was a moonshiner ( reformed) navy veteran (he was on a ship when they dropped the bombs on Japan) so he learned heavy equipment rebuilding runways in the Pacific. Owned a seafood restaurant in carrabelle fla.ran a loader at a rock quarry. He worked there 25 years and retired from them for almost 40. And he was my friend. If you lift a glass tonight lift one to Mr. Bart. They don't make men like that much anymore.

Sounds like a mentor of mine. Buried where he was raised. He had wisdom beyond any education. Joined the army or go to jail for running shine. I so miss those conversations as I know you will too. Paid him a visit little while back. Took a jar of apple pie and we had a little talk. Left that jar on his head stone with a penny. Sorry for your loss

Back
Top Bottom