• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Loose Dogs

No. It's just the one hunter that I am aware of, and the last I heard he's only been charged and not convicted. As far as I know, Poop has followed the letter of the law.

But I do see a bunch of people creating drama where none exists. I hunt, and I know lots of hunters, and I'm not aware of anyone out hunting and popping off dogs. Dogs running loose in the country, however, is pretty much an everyday occurrence.

But that's alright - I guess it makes people feel good to create drama where none exists... :rolleyes:
Man, Poop has talked about how he knows how effective his 17 HMR is on dogs. He has also said he shoots them for no other reason than they are loose, thus they are feral.

Any drama in this thread was created by Poop when he came on here talking about killing any loose dog he sees.

Just a thought.

Sometimes the reason the dog is loose is because they slipped their collar. So if they're not actually doing anything wrong...

If the dog wears the collar daily, and you remove it for a bath, you can tell where the collar was, so most any idiot should be able to determine that it's someone's pet.

Some folks would shoot a toy poodle if it came dancing through the woods. They also shoot goats, pigs, cows, horses, sheep, hell they even shoot each other.

Man, Poop has talked about how he knows how effective his 17 HMR is on dogs. He has also said he shoots them for no other reason than they are loose, thus they are feral.

Any drama in this thread was created by Poop when he came on here talking about killing any loose dog he sees.

Well take it up with him, but I don't see him posting in this thread anymore. I do see people continue to post about how they're going to mess up hunters who shoot their dindu nuthin dog.

The problem, however, is that there aren't any hunters out shooting dogs. But there are plenty of dogs running loose because their owners won't take responsibility. Oops sorry - slip of the tongue. I meant they're just having too many "accidents" with their dogs... :rolleyes:

Well take it up with him, but I don't see him posting in this thread anymore. I do see people continue to post about how they're going to mess up hunters who shoot their dindu nuthin dog.

The problem, however, is that there aren't any hunters out shooting dogs. But there are plenty of dogs running loose because their owners won't take responsibility. Oops sorry - slip of the tongue. I meant they're just having too many "accidents" with their dogs... :rolleyes:
We pretty much agree on this, but there are hunters shooting dogs. I personally know of it happening at least four times. One of them was bad news and it had to be done. Two were just farm dogs that wondered onto club land, but weren't doing anything other than just being there. The forth was really bad. A non hunting couple were simply taking a fall hike through the national forest near their cabin. The dog got a little ahead of them on the trail and went around a turn before they did. BOOM! A hunter killed it as soon as he saw it. It was a Yellow Lab.

We pretty much agree on this, but there are hunters shooting dogs. I personally know of it happening at least four times. One of them was bad news and it had to be done. Two were just farm dogs that wondered onto club land, but weren't doing anything other than just being there. The forth was really bad. A non hunting couple were simply taking a fall hike through the national forest near their cabin. The dog got a little ahead of them on the trail and went around a turn before they did. BOOM! A hunter killed it as soon as he saw it. It was a Yellow Lab.

Well in the third example, the "hunter" should lose his license. As for the two farm dogs, if they weren't wearing collars and chasing deer, then it was legal.

As I said I don't know of any hunters shooting dogs But I've personally have had tons of encounters with loose dogs, including aggressive dogs, and this "it was just an accident my dog got out," and "my dog wouldn't hurt a fly" attitude pisses me off.

I own a hunting dog, and I've spent a ton of money training her to voice and hand commands. I've also invested in an expensive electronic collar with a long range, and I've trained her to return to me when I hit the beep sound.

If my dog got loose and bit someone and/or damaged someone's property, then I'd take responsibility and deal with it myself. But pathetically there appears to be too many "it was just an accident" excuses floating around here because their sweet dog would never do nuthin...

Well in the third example, the "hunter" should lose his license. As for the two farm dogs, if they weren't wearing collars and chasing deer, then it was legal.

As I said I don't know of any hunters shooting dogs But I've personally have had tons of encounters with loose dogs, including aggressive dogs, and this "it was just an accident my dog got out," and "my dog wouldn't hurt a fly" attitude pisses me off.

I own a hunting dog, and I've spent a ton of money training her to voice and hand commands. I've also invested in an expensive electronic collar with a long range, and I've trained her to return to me when I hit the beep sound.

If my dog got loose and bit someone and/or damaged someone's property, then I'd take responsibility and deal with it myself. But pathetically there appears to be too many "it was just an accident" excuses floating around here because their sweet dog would never do nuthin...
In this thread? Who here has said that they would not take responsibility if their "dog got loose and bit someone and/or damaged someone's property"?

In this thread? Who here has said that they would not take responsibility if their "dog got loose and bit someone and/or damaged someone's property"?

There have been plenty of people on here interwebz badassing about how they would take care of the hunter if he shot their dog. And the law clearly states that if your dog gets loose without a collar, or it "slips the collar", and it's chasing deer, then the hunter can legally shoot it. It may or may not be ethical, depending on the circumstances, but it is legal. And if it's collared, then a Warden can shoot it, and I believe they can be compelled to do it if the owner refuses to address the situation. So don't go whining if your dog gets shot because it "accidentally" :rolleyes: got loose for the umpteenth time.

My point is simple.

Hunters shooting dogs = rare, and non-existent as far as I'm concerned.
Dogs running loose, including on other people's property = daily occurrence.

But feel free to rage on about the rare occurrence...

There have been plenty of people on here interwebz badassing about how they would take care of the hunter if he shot their dog. And the law clearly states that if your dog gets loose without a collar, or it "slips the collar", and it's chasing deer, then the hunter can legally shoot it. It may or may not be ethical, depending on the circumstances, but it is legal. And if it's collared, then a Warden can shoot it, and I believe they can be compelled to do it if the owner refuses to address the situation. So don't go whining if your dog gets shot because it "accidentally" :rolleyes: got loose for the umpteenth time.

My point is simple.

Hunters shooting dogs = rare, and non-existent as far as I'm concerned.
Dogs running loose, including on other people's property = daily occurrence.

But feel free to rage on about the rare occurrence...
I like how you change the standard of your statement. It was "bit someone and/or damaged someone's property", now it's chasing deer without a collar, but the objection that people have is to their dogs being killed for simply being in the wrong place and not doing anything else wrong at all. Remember, loose equals feral and dangerous. KILL IT!

As for whining if my dog got shot because he got loose. When I was a teenager we lived in the country and I had been given an old retired pointer to help me train a new puppy I had how to bird hunt. I only had him for about a week or so when he managed to escape while I was at school. When I came home I found him in our yard gut shot. I put him down and buried him, then went to try and find out what happened.

It turns out he had killed a neighbors chicken, so the guy shot him. My response was to apologize and replace the man's chicken.

You keep talking about the rare occurrence, but that makes five dogs I know of that were shot. Not so rare after all. Two were justified. The other three were not.

This thread shows how diverse this sight and the world today is. Many different people from different walks of life with many different views and believes.

I guess at the end of the day you do what you feel is right and live with it. You make your own reality and can tell the story how you want to tell it to justify your reasons. We all have our own set of moral codes and live strongly by them.

I am not saying anyone here is wrong but I do believe that actions speak louder than words and that you need to watch what you do in life because you never know when it will come back to bite you in the ass!

I like how you change the standard of your statement. It was "bit someone and/or damaged someone's property", now it's chasing deer without a collar, but the objection that people have is to their dogs being killed for simply being in the wrong place and not doing anything else wrong at all. Remember, loose equals feral and dangerous. KILL IT!

As for whining if my dog got shot because he got loose. When I was a teenager we lived in the country and I had been given an old retired pointer to help me train a new puppy I had how to bird hunt. I only had him for about a week or so when he managed to escape while I was at school. When I came home I found him in our yard gut shot. I put him down and buried him, then went to try and find out what happened.

It turns out he had killed a neighbors chicken, so the guy shot him. My response was to apologize and replace the man's chicken.

You keep talking about the rare occurrence, but that makes five dogs I know of that were shot. Not so rare after all. Two were justified. The other three were not.

I responded to your question based on what I said and in relation to the topic of this thread. Of course no one has admitted they might not take responsibility if their dog bit someone or damaged another's property, but the amount of people who keep justifying "accidents" and "slipped collars" is readily apparent. Perhaps you should've just asked me how I'd respond if someone shot my collarless dog while it was out chasing deer...

In regards to the topic of this thread, I've read about one hunter in the last year who has shot dogs while hunting so yes it is rare from a legal issue standpoint - all your personal lifetime incidents notwithstanding... However I can probably easily find 50+ articles of loose dogs doing damage in the last 6 months.

Once again, and in relation to the TOPIC OF THIS THREAD which is dogs chasing deer. You can get mad all you want if your "slipped collar" dog is "in the wrong place not doing anything else wrong at all" - well except chasing deer - and a hunter shoots it, but it's perfectly legal. It may or may not be ethical at the time, but the only person to blame would be yourself.

Of course we both know damn well that this rarely happens, but everyone keep raging... :mad2:

Back
Top Bottom