• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to build first AR-10, opinions on build.

CoreyH

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
Good morning everyone, as the title states in the near future I'm looking to start putting together a custom build for an AR-10 and would like y'all's feed back on some of the parts I've chosen. To be honest, I don't know alot about this and will be having a friend who builds these on the regular help me assemble it. I've been browsing the net a good bit and have found this build I like and would like y'all's opinion on it. If there's something you dislike or disagree with, please explain to me why if you wouldn't mind.

The bulk of the parts are Aero precision.
I'm looking to expand my knowledge and welcome y'all's advice, thanks for your time!

Gas block I'd like to have as an adjustable one.
Upper
Buffer spring
Stock
Optic
Buffer tube
M5 lower parts
BCG
Gas tube
Barrel

Save yourself the trouble and just purchase a ruger SFAR if you want a straight all around shooter with an awesome feature set that is also crazy light weight! If you want something that’s more for bench/prone shooting continue on your build path…

Save yourself the trouble and just purchase a ruger SFAR if you want a straight all around shooter with an awesome feature set that is also crazy light weight! If you want something that’s more for bench/prone shooting continue on your build path…
Yea I'm definitely looking at a DMR type setup, but I'll check that out anyway. Love me a Ruger

I know a guy that used all Aero parts with a Oak Mt. barrel and that gun shot lights out.
Heh seems someone summoned you.

Yea I was looking for something rather accurate, weight however is a concern. Mr Dan also recommend I check out the Ruger SFAR and giving it a quick once over the light weight is certainly appealing. I don't know how much accuracy I'd be giving up however to accomplish the lower weight

Well they guarantee a sub moa on their barrels so with really really good ammunition or handloads it probably will get there. I'm a fan of arrow Precision I've never had any problems with them. Ballistic advantage their sister company that makes their barrels ( I believe they make their barrels ) I have one of their ba Hanson barrels it's one of the softest shooting barrels I've got. It's very accurate. I've only built one AR-10 and it turned out great and it shot half MOA but hell the barrel was 400 bucks. Sticking with all one manufacturer is a good way to go though it takes out a lot of the guesswork and problems. I just committed sacrilege and ordered a PSA PA- 10. It's arriving today and I just ordered the day before yesterday. I will post pics when I get it today. I'm going to replace the bolt and Barrel in short order as I assumed the accuracy is going to be somewhat subpar at best.

If you are pushing accuracy you'll want a better barrel. Criterion is a great barrel for accuracy that is not stupid expensive.
Aero makes reasonable parts to build off of. I wouldn't use their barrels or bags, but it is a decent starting point. Using the same flavor lower, upper, and handguard ensures everything lines up as the platform uses different style upper/lower fitments and two different rail heights.

You can save a few bucks by getting just the basic m5 lower parts kit unless you like everything in the kit ( most people swap grips and triggers, etc)

Installing the barrel nut is a lesson in patience as it has to be timed for the handguard, so order 2 packs of shims. A good alternate is a midwest rail, you'll need the DPMS HIGH pattern. IMO it's a better rail and it's easier to install.

Hope this helps, sincerely: an 1 time a year AR10 builder.

Back
Top Bottom